X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X1300/8.5/DRI/Hardy/Freezes

Hello.

I have the following hardware:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]
    01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV516 [Radeon X1300 Pro] (Secondary)

This is on a Dell Optilex 755.

Ubuntu Hardy, and the closed source drivers version 8.5.

If I start X (no clients running; not even a window manager), then I get a corrupt mouse mouse pointer (in a square region) and after several seconds the entire computer freezes.

Turning off DRI entire solves the problem, but I want DRI on. At least on one monitor.

I have searched these forums, so far the only problems I have noticed with X1300 cards is after X starts and when window managers start loading, but this occurs just starting X without loading any clients. I will keep searching just in case I missed something.

I also have tried both dual-head and bigdesktop mode, both result in the system hanging.

Unfortunately, because the system freezes rock solid, this hampers my ability to get accurate and detailed logs, however I try that again after posting this.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Brian May

X1300/8.5/DRI/Hardy/Freezes

Hello,

Sometimes the computer reboots instead of freezing. Sometimes it won't freeze until I try to do something, eg switch virtual consoles, kill the server, or (maybe?) start a simple 2d client (e.g. ratpoison, differently nothing 3d). Not sure why it varies so much.

I am not able to get a log file, after reboot the log file is length 0 bytes.

I did capture the stderr output though when running it from another computer via ssh. I can't see anything abnormal here. Both screens work despite the "No matching Device" lines. At least I can move the mouse pointer from one to the other.

=== cut ===
    This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org Foundation.
    It is not supported in any way.
    Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
    Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
    Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
    latest version in the X.Org Foundation git repository.
    See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/GitPage for git access instructions.

X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
    Release Date: 5 September 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9)
    Current Operating System: Linux oncilla 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 12:47:45 UTC 2008 x86_64
    Build Date: 15 April 2008 05:41:18PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Module Loader present
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun May 25 10:02:31 2008
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
    (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
    (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
    [atiddx] ASYNCIO init succeed!
    Receive enable interrupt ret message
    ...irqEnableMask: 20008000
    ...dwIRQEnableId: 00000008
    ...irqEnableMask: 10000000
    ...dwIRQEnableId: 00000009
    expected keysym, got XF86KbdLightOnOff: line 70 of pc
    expected keysym, got XF86KbdBrightnessDown: line 71 of pc
    expected keysym, got XF86KbdBrightnessUp: line 72 of pc
    fglrx: the hardware is not in an accelerator mode, command submission falied
    === cut ===

Note, the last line didn't appear until I pushed Alt+F1 to switch to a text console. The computer crashed about the same time.

Brian May

Comment

X1300/8.5/DRI/Hardy/Freezes

Hello,

Sometimes the computer reboots instead of freezing. Sometimes it won't freeze until I try to do something, eg switch virtual consoles, kill the server, or (maybe?) start a simple 2d client (e.g. ratpoison, differently nothing 3d). Not sure why it varies so much.

I am not able to get a log file, after reboot the log file is length 0 bytes.

I did capture the stderr output though when running it from another computer via ssh. I can't see anything abnormal here. Both screens work despite the "No matching Device" lines. At least I can move the mouse pointer from one to the other.

=== cut ===
      This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org Foundation.
      It is not supported in any way.
      Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
      Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
      Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
      latest version in the X.Org Foundation git repository.
      See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/GitPage for git access instructions.

X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
      Release Date: 5 September 2007
      X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
      Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9)
      Current Operating System: Linux oncilla 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 12:47:45 UTC 2008 x86_64
      Build Date: 15 April 2008 05:41:18PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
      to make sure that you have the latest version.
      Module Loader present
      Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
      (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
      (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
      (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun May 25 10:02:31 2008
      (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
      (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
      (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
      [atiddx] ASYNCIO init succeed!
      ...irqEnableMask: 20008000
      ...dwIRQEnableId: 00000008
      ...irqEnableMask: 10000000
      ...dwIRQEnableId: 00000009
      fglrx: the hardware is not in an accelerator mode, command submission falied
      === cut ===

Note, the last line didn't appear until I pushed Alt+F1 to switch to a text console. The computer crashed about the same time.

Brian May

Comment

re: X1300/8.5/DRI/Hardy/Freezes

Originally posted by brian.may View Post
        Hello,

Sometimes the computer reboots instead of freezing. Sometimes it won't freeze until I try to do something, eg switch virtual consoles, kill the server, or (maybe?) start a simple 2d client (e.g. ratpoison, differently nothing 3d). Not sure why it varies so much....

Brian May
        I have the same problem. Have you found any resolution?

Comment

I have the same situation on the same model, optiplex 755 with a X1300 Pro.

Have you figured out a solution?

Comment

work around

Originally posted by gerrickw View Post
            I have the same situation on the same model, optiplex 755 with a X1300 Pro.

Have you figured out a solution?
            I replaced the card with a Asus nVidia GeForce 8500GT 512MB Silent (EN8500GTSLN-HTD-512) <http://www.digiworld.com.au/product.info.asp?Product_ID=3934>, replaced the ATI drivers with nvidia ones, and now it works fine...

Ok, probably not the solution you were looking for :-(.

Brian May

Comment

I replaced the card with a Asus nVidia GeForce 8500GT 512MB Silent (EN8500GTSLN-HTD-512) <http://www.digiworld.com.au/product.info.asp?Product_ID=3934>, replaced the ATI drivers with nvidia ones, and now it works fine...

Brian May
              Way ahead of you... I've been using another old 2D card with different drivers whenever I really need stability (most of the time). I was just hoping that I might be able to actually use the x1550 at some point, since I spent my hard earned (and somewhat scarce) cash on it.

Comment

Brian May
                I may have found a solution. I added the following boot options to the end of the "kernel" parameters line in /boot/grub/menu.lst:

pci=nomsi irqpoll

I've only done this late last night, but so far, things that would normally cause an almost instant lockup / or reboot have been working really great.

I'm compelled to admit that I also made some changes to the BIOS settings. I'm using a Biostar TA770 A2+, and have increased the CPU Voltage and Northbridge Voltages to the next highest selections (just above the defaults). Given this, it's hard to say which changes actually helped - perhaps the combination of changes.

If it's able to stay up for a solid week, I'll work on narrowing it down, reverting back to the defaults - one change at at time.

Comment

Working...
                X