Catalyst 14.6 Beta Now Available For AMD Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    Mesa may not be as good as fglrx for Portal 2, but I had no problems playing through the last few hours of Portal 2 on my 7850 a few weeks ago (x6 1055t, 8GB, radeonsi/llvm from xorg-edgers on ubuntu gnome 14.04). Framerates were fluid at all times.
    Yes and this is what I don't really understand. I played Dota 2 on Windows a lot, with maxed graphics and never noticed any FPS drop, I had constant 40+fps, no matter what. With the same settings on Linux and Catalyst, the game is unplayable. I have to disable some graphics settings or lower the render quality to get smooth gameplay. With Mesa, I can have everything maxed out and game is smooth until teamfight starts or I'm around some places, for example around Radiant's top T1 tower I have huge FPS drop and I have no idea why because there's nothing special going on. So if I want smooth gameplay with Mesa, I have to lower the render quality to 50% or disable some graphics details.

Portal 2 is the opposite, with fglrx I can play the game maxed out and it's absolutely smooth, just like on Windows. With mesa, I have to lower some settings and still I get noticable FPS drop when walking around portals, other than that game is also smooth. I'd still gladly use the open source drivers, I don't mind the lower performance when I know it might get better in the future, hopefully, maybe. The kernel driver bothers me much more, becuase the card's fan speeds are based on its VBIOS values, which means the fan speed is at about 40%! when the card is idle, compared to 20% when using Catalyst. If this gets fixed, I can comfortly use my ATI card with the open source drivers, otherwise this forced my to unplug the card and use Intel HD4600 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Let me guess. You're using Firefox with Adobe Flash 11.2? Nothing AMD can do. It uses software rendering all the time.

Chrome with its integrated Pepper Flash works perfectly fine.
      Yup - but here is the thing: It worked beautifully on my NVidia Ti 560.

Furthermore, I know that my 1st gen core i7 (W3520) can decode the videos in software at full frame rate.
      The problem isn't the hardware, and it isn't flash.

I'll try chrome this evening with youtube, but I don't have high hopes. I note that if I collapse and restore a chrome window that it is painted in from top to bottom in a manner that reminds me of my Amiga A4000 in 256 color VGA mode. It takes almost a full second to restore a collapsed chrome window. Considering that my Amiga 4000 had about 16-30 megabytes of memory bandwidth it makes the R9 270 look pretty bad.

I apologize for my rants - but its clear that the hardware is very good and works extremely well on windows. The problem is that the majority of us want it to work well on linux, and it is being entirely let down by a poor driver.

-bms

Comment

Originally posted by bms20 View Post
        Ok - I downloaded and installed it.

Using Kubuntu 14.04, AMD R9 270: Still cannot play youtube videos in full screen without dropping to about 1 fps.

AMD: You need to get serious about this driver!
        Same problem here with my R9 290. Tried it with Flash and HTML5 on Firefox and on Chrome. Chrome seems to be smoother, but it flickers in fullscreen, which is probably related to my issue I posted earlier:

Comment

Where's the truth?

Reading benchmark and comments here drives people crazy.
          Benchmarks posted indicates that with most of amd cards, performance of the catalyst are very good both compared to windows's counterparts and nvidia.
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In this review:
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

R9 270x which is supposed to be slower than gefore 760 gtx on windows, performs mostly in line with the expectations.

Some people commented that the catalyst 14.4 solved basically every major issue those drivers had.
          Yes I keep reading people complaining about both poor performances and major issues and even instability.

So where's the truth? I just got a used r9 270 for a bargain price.
          Should I resell it? Are catalyst good with wine?

Comment

Hi.
            Any known Catalyst 14.6 working out of box on kernel 3.14 without any path?
            Im trying generate pack (from official installer) for my deskrop Linux Mageia 4 64 but generare rpm failed Well I chope trying install basilcyn from .run file but I don't know what about kernel support. Any know?

Comment

Still cannot play youtube videos in full screen without dropping to about 1 fps.
              I bet you're using graphical console (framebuffer). Just switch to text console by changing your kernel boot parameters and all will be back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                Hi.
                Any known Catalyst 14.6 working out of box on kernel 3.14 without any path?
                Im trying generate pack (from official installer) for my deskrop Linux Mageia 4 64 but generare rpm failed Well I chope trying install basilcyn from .run file but I don't know what about kernel support. Any know?
                This should help.

Comment

I'll be damned...

Originally posted by cas_ View Post
                  I bet you're using graphical console (framebuffer). Just switch to text console by changing your kernel boot parameters and all will be back to normal.
                  That did it.

The performance is back where I had expected it to be.

I accept eating humble pie here - perhaps I over ranted - the performance is now excellent.

So what is going on here? Is the system doing some kind of blit to the framebuffer if I boot in graphical mode?

(Note: I hated the graphical mode in grub - it took ages to render the boot menu screen anyway).

Thank you very much.

Should fglrx automatically disable the framebuffer by default on installation?

-bms20

Comment

Flash 11 HW acceleration in Firefox with fglrx

Using Kubuntu 14.04, AMD R9 270: Still cannot play youtube videos in full screen without dropping to about 1 fps.
                    AMD: You need to get serious about this driver!
                    Yes, works somehow better with Chromium + Pepper Flash but I like Firefox. It's really a Flash 11 problem: It only supports VDPAU, so you won't get any acceleration with XvBA @ AMD. But there is a nice wrapper that actually *WORKS* (I was totally surprised): See this page on the Arch Wiki.
                    It wraps XvBA in VA-API and VA-API in an alternative VDPAU backend. And it really, actually *works*.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
                      Yes, works somehow better with Chromium + Pepper Flash but I like Firefox. It's really a Flash 11 problem: It only supports VDPAU, so you won't get any acceleration with XvBA @ AMD. But there is a nice wrapper that actually *WORKS* (I was totally surprised): See this page on the Arch Wiki.
                      It wraps XvBA in VA-API and VA-API in an alternative VDPAU backend. And it really, actually *works*.
                      Thanks for that. It wasn't the accelerated decode that was the problem. I've got the VAAPI xvba wrapper installed:
                      # dpkg -al | grep xvba
                      ii xvba-va-driver 0.7.8-1ubuntu3 amd64 XvBA-based backend for VA API (AMD fglrx implementation)
                      #

The issue was the framebuffer mode set in grub - see my previous. I set grub to console mode by uncommenting the line:
                      #GRUB_TERMINAL=console
                      in /etc/default/grub
                      and re-running update-grub.

Afterwards all was quite happy again.

-bms

Comment

Working...
                      X