Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 57

Thread: Catalyst 14.6 Beta Now Available For AMD Linux Gamers

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majod View Post
    It also hanged on my 7850.
    I just got done playing a 30-minute match of Dota 2 a little bit ago; no hangs. Was there anything in-particular you were doing when it hung?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Espionage724 View Post
    I just got done playing a 30-minute match of Dota 2 a little bit ago; no hangs. Was there anything in-particular you were doing when it hung?
    Farming Anti-mage :P No, but seriously. Dota 2 has terrible performance for in with fglrx. Mesa runs seriously smoother. On the other hand, Portal 2 is as good as on Windows with fglrx, with mesa not as much.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majod View Post
    Farming Anti-mage :P No, but seriously. Dota 2 has terrible performance for in with fglrx. Mesa runs seriously smoother. On the other hand, Portal 2 is as good as on Windows with fglrx, with mesa not as much.
    Mesa may not be as good as fglrx for Portal 2, but I had no problems playing through the last few hours of Portal 2 on my 7850 a few weeks ago (x6 1055t, 8GB, radeonsi/llvm from xorg-edgers on ubuntu gnome 14.04). Framerates were fluid at all times.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Dota 2 on my 7850 was pretty smooth on both mesa and fglrx; I think both were around the same FPS for the most part (fglrx might of been a tiny bit higher).

    Dota 2 on my laptop with 7660G + 7670M however is a different story. On fglrx, the framerate climbs up, then drops gradually, and repeats (basically, it goes between 50 and 10 FPS, kind of like a slow stutter I guess). With mesa, the FPS just remains pretty low.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default All I would like..

    I'll test this one, but I don't have high hopes.

    All I would like is for the f*king desktop to work properly.

    I've got an R9 270 - and I'd expect the thing to just run without tearing - and be able to play youtube videos - in full screen without 1980s performance.

    I think I'll swap it for an NVidia card, because I need my computer to work.

    Seriously - AMD: Fix your damn software or open source it so the rest of us can.

    -bms

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default Nahh . still terrible.

    Quote Originally Posted by bms20 View Post
    I'll test this one, but I don't have high hopes.

    All I would like is for the f*king desktop to work properly.

    I've got an R9 270 - and I'd expect the thing to just run without tearing - and be able to play youtube videos - in full screen without 1980s performance.

    I think I'll swap it for an NVidia card, because I need my computer to work.

    Seriously - AMD: Fix your damn software or open source it so the rest of us can.

    -bms

    Ok - I downloaded and installed it.

    Using Kubuntu 14.04, AMD R9 270: Still cannot play youtube videos in full screen without dropping to about 1 fps.

    AMD: You need to get serious about this driver!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bms20 View Post
    Ok - I downloaded and installed it.

    Using Kubuntu 14.04, AMD R9 270: Still cannot play youtube videos in full screen without dropping to about 1 fps.

    AMD: You need to get serious about this driver!
    Let me guess. You're using Firefox with Adobe Flash 11.2? Nothing AMD can do. It uses software rendering all the time.

    Chrome with its integrated Pepper Flash works perfectly fine.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Shouldn't R7 270 cards work fine with the latest foss drivers including VDPAU ? I thought only R9 290 parts are still problematic....

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bms20 View Post
    Seriously - AMD: Fix your damn software or open source it so the rest of us can.
    Well, they have, in a way...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bms20 View Post
    Using Kubuntu 14.04, AMD R9 270: Still cannot play youtube videos in full screen without dropping to about 1 fps.
    Hmm, even if you use non accelerated non pepper flash i think you shoudn't get 1 fps . What video you are trying to play?
    Last edited by dungeon; 05-27-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •