Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFQ Scheduler Still Trying For The Mainline Linux Kernel

Phoronix: BFQ Scheduler Still Trying For The Mainline Linux Kernel

With the latest patches sent out today, the BFQ I/O scheduler is still trying to get accepted for the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bravo!

It seems it comes from Italy: it'd be the "Renzi effect"!

Comment

I wish this gets accepted. I'm really tired of the disk locking up the entire system every time...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        I wish this gets accepted. I'm really tired of the disk locking up the entire system every time...
        This will not help with that at all. BFQ is snake oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
          This will not help with that at all. BFQ is snake oil.
          Bullshit. Been using it for years, alongside other machines with CFQ.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
            Bullshit. Been using it for years, alongside other machines with CFQ.
            Just for clarity: Are you saying that this scheduler prevents the huge slowdowns when swap is used?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
              Just for clarity: Are you saying that this scheduler prevents the huge slowdowns when swap is used?
              Interestingly, one user wrote:

Swap serves another (often underrated) purpose: Graceful degradation.

If you have a reasonably amount of swap space mounted, you will know you are running out of RAM because your system will become noticeably
              slower. If you have no swap whatsoever [or if it is filled too quickly], your first warning will quite possibly be an application OOM killed or losing data due to a failed memory allocation.

Think of the slowness of swap as a _feature_.
              And another one wrote:
              Swap is useful as a safety belt. When you get an application that starts eating up all your system memory, you'll notice that your machine suddenly became slow, and, hopefully, will be able to kill that app before your swap gets exhausted.
              The BFQ scheduler should prevents the huge slowdowns when doing operations that use a lot a hard disk but while the user tries to use the GUI meanwhile, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                Where have you spent your 400 posts on?

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                  Interestingly, one user wrote:

And another one wrote:

The BFQ scheduler should prevents the huge slowdowns when doing operations that use a lot a hard disk but while the user tries to use the GUI meanwhile, etc.
                  Heh, it's a feature.

I'll tell that to the crowd next time we are watching a movie and I forgot to disable emerge linking libreoffice in the background using lto.

If I tell em that the sudden inconvenient break is caused by a feature they will *surely* understand lol.

I'm sorry, I refuse to take that seriously. Thank you for your post though. You have given me a good laugh, thank you sir.

Is there an XKCD for this yet?

Comment

Working...
                  X