Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leadwerks Game Engine Pushed Into The Ubuntu Store

Phoronix: Leadwerks Game Engine Pushed Into The Ubuntu Store

Leadwerks and Canonical are making the Linux-native Leadwerks Game Engine available through the Ubuntu Software Center...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Ubuntu Software Center is a sad joke for users and publishers alike. If anyone reading this is considering putting their software (or anything) on the USC, just don?t. It?s a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
      The Ubuntu Software Center is a sad joke for users and publishers alike. If anyone reading this is considering putting their software (or anything) on the USC, just don?t. It?s a waste of time.
      Please expand on your comment. Preferably with clear reasons and concrete points.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        Please expand on your comment. Preferably with clear reasons and concrete points.
        As a user:
        - extremely slow
        - unreadable text with dark themes
        - paid magazines mixed with software results
        - what you buy is tied to your Ubuntu install
        I?m sure there are other problems but I?m not gonna launch it to check / remember.

As a publisher:
        - documentation isn?t very good
        - hard to find how to get support
        - extremely slow support from Canonical (several weeks/months)
        - ridiculous sales
        - no information about your customers (email)

I?ll also point you to the article on GamingOnLinux about this.

Comment

I agree with a few points
          - It's slow. Holy crap is it ever slow.
          - Unreadable text with dark themes? The average user probably isn't even going to try to change its theme (which is white), let alone find the menu for changing it.
          - Paid magazines mixed with programs: This I agree with. There must be a setting to disable searching for that. This actually ties in with searching in the dash, which I usually use for opening programs that I don't have a shortcut to like I do in Windows 8/8.1 which I must say is getting worse on Windows too.
          (-Microsoft- started replacing results of actual program names to what they do and it's... well I'm finding search to be taking more effort than it used to.)
          - What you buy is tied to your Ubuntu install: This is a love/hate thing here. For me, and the majority of Ubuntu users, it's convenient. That being said, I'd like it if there was online hosting that was cross distro, maybe even OS, that could handle purchases instead. (Blackberry is actually doing something like that with their BES12 for deploying iOS, Android, and BB10 apps) I know, I know, Ubuntu's Software Center is supposed to be that but I don't feel that it is.

And as far as the publisher stuff goes I can't really comment on it. What I do like is how I can search for names of things as well as choose to search by technical names. The description seriously helps in that regard. As far as I'm concerned, if people can't find your product or know about it, it doesn't really matter how good it is because no one will be using it. That's the point of the software center. Keep in mind, Software Center is ooooold, like 2009. For something that's meant to be fluid, it definitely needs a refresh - and they're working on it - so no complaints here regarding that.

Comment

Working...
          X