Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Developer Calls For HTTP 2.0 To Be Thrown Out

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,378

    Default Developer Calls For HTTP 2.0 To Be Thrown Out

    Phoronix: Developer Calls For HTTP 2.0 To Be Thrown Out

    Open-source developer Poul-Henning Kamp is pushing for the HTTP Working Group to toss out their current work on the HTTP 2.0 standard and to start over...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwMTA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    Read the mailing list. One small detail stands out to me above all the others... If HTTP 3.0 is already being discussed before HTTP 2.0 is released... then they know there's some fatal flaws in 2.0 that are breaking in some way or another. 2.1 being discussed before 2.0 is released? Fine, thats "We need to get 2.0 out the door, but we know there's problems that still need to be hashed out." But W3C seems to follow the ideal of "Minor versions are updates. Major versions are breakage." Therefore they KNOW theres problems with 2.0 that can only be fixed by breakage.

    IF thats a KNOWN thing, who in their right mind will work their asses off to implement 2.0? Why not just wait for 3.0 this way you get 2.0 + fixes? SPDY is already being adopted by browsers and web servers so its not for that. Compression? Optional already. Encryption? HTTP 2.0, AFAIK, is still based off of SSL/TLS so there's nothing new on that front. Really, other than new defaults... what features of HTTP 2.0 exist that would demand it be implemented as fast as possible versus just waiting for 3.0?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Read the mailing list. One small detail stands out to me above all the others... If HTTP 3.0 is already being discussed before HTTP 2.0 is released... then they know there's some fatal flaws in 2.0 that are breaking in some way or another. 2.1 being discussed before 2.0 is released? Fine, thats "We need to get 2.0 out the door, but we know there's problems that still need to be hashed out." But W3C seems to follow the ideal of "Minor versions are updates. Major versions are breakage." Therefore they KNOW theres problems with 2.0 that can only be fixed by breakage.

    IF thats a KNOWN thing, who in their right mind will work their asses off to implement 2.0? Why not just wait for 3.0 this way you get 2.0 + fixes? SPDY is already being adopted by browsers and web servers so its not for that. Compression? Optional already. Encryption? HTTP 2.0, AFAIK, is still based off of SSL/TLS so there's nothing new on that front. Really, other than new defaults... what features of HTTP 2.0 exist that would demand it be implemented as fast as possible versus just waiting for 3.0?
    I can just hear them saying "but... but... we worked so hard on it!"

    I agree with you. Ditch HTTP2, let SPDY and future versions thereof pick up the slack, and work on HTTP3 instead.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
    I can just hear them saying "but... but... we worked so hard on it!"

    I agree with you. Ditch HTTP2, let SPDY and future versions thereof pick up the slack, and work on HTTP3 instead.
    From my understanding HTTP2 is meant to be SPDY with bugfixes. But there seem to be issues you can not patch over, like header compression.

    If this compression is found to be attackable in the future, it would mean going back to HTTP1... So there are proposals to drop it, make it optional, use simpler compression etc. Or just start anew.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    Can we please just get rid of the w3c and replace it with something that is actually capable of designing proper standards rather than crap that then isn't actually a standard because it's a loose standard, and thus really just a crappy suggestion more than anything? Further any time they come up with a semi-decent standard (see XHTML2) they decide nah... let's not do that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Can we please just get rid of the w3c and replace it with something that is actually capable of designing proper standards.
    And how do you expect to get people to follow these "proper standards?"

    It didn't work for Netscape and it didn't work for Microsoft. It apparently isn't working for Google either.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Read the mailing list. One small detail stands out to me above all the others... If HTTP 3.0 is already being discussed before HTTP 2.0 is released... then they know there's some fatal flaws in 2.0 that are breaking in some way or another.
    This is what I got out of this announcement too. They should just skip over 2.0, otherwise by the time 3.0 is out, people aren't going to want to switch over to another version AGAIN.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •