Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 10.2 Features Are Quite Exciting

Phoronix: Mesa 10.2 Features Are Quite Exciting

Mesa 10.2 is expected to be released in the next few days and with this three-month update will come many improvements to the Intel, Radeon, and Nouveau graphics drivers plus other improvements to core Mesa/Gallium3D, the advancement of the Freedreno Gallium3D driver, and much more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm confused about Openmax. What was wrong with vaapi / vdpau to warrant a replacement?

Comment

What about R600 improvements?

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        I'm confused about Openmax. What was wrong with vaapi / vdpau to warrant a replacement?
        VDPAU is used for decoding, OpenMAX for encoding right now.

Comment

any news for OpenGL 3.3 support on SandyBridge hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
            What about R600 improvements?
            There's none.

Comment

A small correction: Mesa 10.2 does not support compute shaders. Paul landed some of the initial API code, but no driver actually supports them yet. There's a lot of work left before that can happen.
              Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
              Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

VDPAU doesn't support encoding.

VAAPI does things in a way that's specific to intel hardware - it's easier and more efficient for AMD hardware to use OpenMAX instead.

Comment

OpenMAX is another Khronos specification like OpenGL and OpenCL. OpenMAX supports both Encode and Decode but it really hasn't seen that much adoption in applications, AFAIK.

VAAPI is Intel's Encode / Decode library. Its seen a fair bit of adoption in video applications but its not the most widely adopted.

VDPAU Is Nvidia's Decode only (no Encode) spec. Its seen the most adoption and is supported by the Radeon driver already.

Personally seeing increased OpenMAX adoption would make me happy, but thats a chicken-egg problem since not many applications support it.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                    any news for OpenGL 3.3 support on SandyBridge hardware?
                    As far as I know SandyBridge GPU supports OpenGL up to 3.1 only..

Comment

Working...
                    X