Haiku OS Adds Support For Latest Radeon HD Graphics Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by log0 View Post
    I think they are running gallium llvmpipe, but no hw acceleration.
    Correct. The llvmpipe GL driver is a *lot* faster than the older software rast one. (llvmpipe is still a bit buggy though). I've played Quake 3 under Haiku with low - moderate performance with llvmpipe.

The current issue getting hardware GL is the pipeline. We're working from scratch designing a pipeline for rendering, so any design mistake will bite us hard down the road. Every time I look at DRI I feel like i'm on a tricycle playing chicken with a dump truck.
    Last edited by kallisti5; 25 May 2014, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toguro123 View Post
      This would be a great opportunity to start a Linux vs GNU/Linux flame war.
      I vote Lignux.

Comment

Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post
        Correct. The llvmpipe GL driver is a *lot* faster than the older software rast one. (llvmpipe is still a bit buggy though). I've played Quake 3 under Haiku with low - moderate performance with llvmpipe.

The current issue getting hardware GL is the pipeline. We're working from scratch designing a pipeline for rendering, so any design mistake will bite us hard down the road. Every time I look at DRI I feel like i'm on a tricycle playing chicken with a dump truck.
        So, is Haiku's primary task about media production and editing, like BeOS' was?
        Hi

Comment

Haiku is a great project, but I have a few problems with it as it currently stands:

Why use Bash and such when zsh is MIT Licensed and compatible with most bash stuff. Since they're about MIT it'd make sense to dump the GPL crap

No multi-user support last I checked

However, having clang they should be able to leverage off the GPL for good, and if this all keeps up, then we'll see some amazing stuff. I just need multi-user support before I can justify coding for it. Running as root makes me want to laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            So, is Haiku's primary task about media production and editing, like BeOS' was?
            To answer my own question;

Haiku is a fast, efficient, easy to use and lean open source operating system inspired by the BeOS that specifically targets personal computing.
            I was under the impression BeOS was more about producing media, which was the obvious benefiiciary of work done to optimise aspects (memory utilistion, CPU optimisations, filesystem) of the OS that other's didn't or couldn't.

Haiku just seems to be a regular desktop environment. I was hoping it might have been a platform to push some funky optimisations that Linux can't, which Haiku seems to compare itself too most of all.

What's the point of Haiku, besides low-end and this apparent gracefulness that Linux can't do?
            Hi

Comment

From what I have seen of Haiku using it in passing and having used BeOS and ZETA I have these things to say about it vs UNIX (not Linux, I dont use Linux anymore so I dont expect what I have to say to be entirely true for Linux)

The Haiku family has a more polished and integrated GUI, toolkit and display protocol vs UNIX's X11 (Wayland however may help close the gap of display protocol when it gets to BSD/Solaris) I've never dropped to a framebuffer console on BeOS/ZETA/Haiku.

Everything in Haiku at the moment is single user, solely as root or as they call it, baron. This hearkens back to Windows 9x where there was no security or privilege separation. If a virus was written for BeOS/ZETA/Haiku it'd be able to get into almost anything. (ZETA introduced multi-user, but it was glitchy and incomplete)

However the entire family has a very pleasant desktop OS feel, their schedulers are a fair bit more robust than Linux, but I notice no difference with Haiku vs FreeBSD for desktop use.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                To answer my own question;

I was under the impression BeOS was more about producing media, which was the obvious benefiiciary of work done to optimise aspects (memory utilistion, CPU optimisations, filesystem) of the OS that other's didn't or couldn't.

Haiku just seems to be a regular desktop environment. I was hoping it might have been a platform to push some funky optimisations that Linux can't, which Haiku seems to compare itself too most of all.

What's the point of Haiku, besides low-end and this apparent gracefulness that Linux can't do?
                Check their FAQ:
                Why not Linux?

Linux-based distributions stack up software -- the Linux kernel, the X Window System, and various DEs with disparate toolkits such as GTK+ and Qt -- that do not necessarily share the same guidelines and/or goals. This lack of consistency and overall vision manifests itself in increased complexity, insufficient integration, and inefficient solutions, making the use of your computer more complicated than it should actually be. [top]

Instead, Haiku has a single focus on personal computing and is driven by a unified vision for the whole OS. That, we believe, enables Haiku to provide a leaner, cleaner and more efficient system capable of providing a better user experience that is simple and uniform throughout.

Comment

it just seems natural.

Comment

Working...
                  X