Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte's Z97-HD3 Z97 Motherboard Is Running Well On Linux

Phoronix: Gigabyte's Z97-HD3 Z97 Motherboard Is Running Well On Linux

As I wrote about when Intel launched the Z97 chipset earlier this month in preparation for the Haswell Refresh and Broadwell CPUs, the Linux compatibility for the new motherboards powered by the Intel 9-Series chipsets should be in good shape. One of the motherboards I have been testing since then is the Gigabyte Z97-HD3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael,

Could you please post a boot log from the kernel on this motherboard? It would also be great if you could try it with a non-K intel processor that supports VT-d so we can see if it actually works and is supported. I've been seeing a ton of motherboards that advertise VT-d ability but when you try to use them they have bad tables preventing it to work with VBox and Xen (main culprits being Asus and MSI).

Edit: I see dmesg is present in the tests.

Comment

Funny I was just reading on Z97 the other day. I've been thinking of getting another SSD to put Windows on. I multi-boot Linux off my SSD, but then started wondering whether this m2 really offers a significant speed increase. I've currently got a Haswell 4670. Upgrading the processor seems like a waste of money. It does seem like a lot of the time its you're SSD / Hard Drive access that is the critical bottleneck for performance.

Comment

Michael, thanks for the article. It's always nice to have a Linux-specific link to point to when people ask what mobo to get. This board looks nice for a basic model (though I would rather see ALC892 instead of the venerable ALC887).

I hope your full article considers:

1. lm-sensors/fancontrol support
        2. Testing of less common auxiliary controllers, like Marvell or JMicron (Luckily, this board doesn't have any odd chipsets)
        3. The IOMMU/Vt-d issue deanjo mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Michael,

Could you please post a boot log from the kernel on this motherboard? It would also be great if you could try it with a non-K intel processor that supports VT-d so we can see if it actually works and is supported. I've been seeing a ton of motherboards that advertise VT-d ability but when you try to use them they have bad tables preventing it to work with VBox and Xen (main culprits being Asus and MSI).

VT-D is supported on the Haswell refresh i5-4690k - http://ark.intel.com/products/80811/...up-to-3_90-GHz
          Running Xubuntu 14.04 64bit w/ linux 3.16rc4
          I have a AsRock Killer Z97 board here is mine:
          Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

CPU temp sensors are working, no fan/voltage ones though and i can't wake from suspend via keyboard/mouse have to use power button

Comment

Re: deanjo

Michael,

VT-D is supported on the Haswell refresh i5-4690k - http://ark.intel.com/products/80811/...up-to-3_90-GHz
            I have a AsRock Killer Z97 board here is mine:
            Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

CPU temp sensors are working, no fan/voltage ones though and i can't wake from suspend via keyboard/mouse have to use power button

Comment

Re: deanjo

Michael,

I have a AsRock Killer Z97 board here is my dmesg - http://pastebin.com/igTG8u9S
              aside from that the Atheros Killer e2200 LAN's ALX driver has WOL disabled

Comment

Working...
              X