Catalyst 14.4 Revised For The Witcher 2 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by narciso View Post
    The game is bloody mess even with the revised catalyst. But it was a progress, now, instead of not even running, it crashes most of the time. I've tested in Floatsam level, and it crashes and black screens when entering house doors.
    What a pitty. With the dev mortally offended he doesn't even comment helpful bug reporting posts anymore.
    Witcher 2 or Air Conflicts ... cannot decide which port is worse.

Comment

Giving us crap ports is worst than not giving it any. This only hurts dev's and linux reputation.

Comment

I was tempted to spend 4 bucks but as it's not native...probably not. Might watch another video to decide before the special offer ends.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          *kisses his NVIDIA card*
          That's sooooo pathetic... everyone know water is bad for your GPU

*Gives his Nvidia card a hug*

Comment

It's playable for me, so far. 8350 w/ 7870, 8G. Debian Jessie.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
              I was tempted to spend 4 bucks but as it's not native...probably not. Might watch another video to decide before the special offer ends.
              The Quality Of The Witcher 2 Linux Port Is Upsetting Many Gamers

In short its not native, but using some kind of emulator like Wine (yes I know where the name stands for)

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                When was the last time AMD released an updated linux driver for a game?
                Wow, I just realized that. So, they're actually taking Linux gaming serious by now?

Comment

Giving us crap ports is worst than not giving it any. This only hurts dev's and linux reputation.

I agree that it isn't good for the dev's or Linux's reputation. But, both driver devs and game devs are just starting to support a platform that is quite alien to them. We should expect some rough starts as the industry gets a handle on linux. It's not like a console where the software and hardware are fixed; compared to them linux is like the wild west.

It will probably be a few more years before we can expect game releases on linux to mature. Dev companies need time to develop inhouse linux experience.

Comment

Developers are looking for quick and dirty ways to bring their games over to Linux. It's no different then developers bringing their console games over to Windows. But developers are faced with the choice of either bringing their games to Linux or not bringing them at all. So rather then going through the proper steps A, B, and C, they would rather skip B and go straight to C. This is what Valve did at first with their source games with ToGL but I think in Portal 2 they began to make a proper port.

If anything, developers don't have proper tools to bring their games over to Linux. We really can't expect them to sit down and rewrite a lot of code, just to get a proper Linux port. If developers see more demand for their games on Linux, then more effort will be done to bring them to linux.

Comment

Something technical outside of the Witcher game universe for this revised driver. AMD could be a bit of kinder and include in this revised fglrx an OLDER working AMDCCCLE panel for us with HDMI connections to scale the compressed image to fullscreen as we could with the amdcccle panel included in Catalyst 14.1 version!
                      Is it that difficult AMD??
                      I did it very easily alone but breaks down the uninstall script if you change the binary of amdccccle!

I hate emulated game linux ports by the way and I will never give a cent for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X