Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Game Publishing Has Disappeared, Again

Phoronix: Linux Game Publishing Has Disappeared, Again

Four years ago LGP was offline for months when its lone server failed. Since then, and the takeover by a new CEO, there hasn't been much to report on... Even with many AAA games coming over to Linux and the outlook for Linux gaming never looking better. LGP has now been offline again for nearly one month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dear Lord Gaben.

Please buy out the LGP and release their back catalog in updated form on Linux with just the Steam DRM.

Comment

I don't think it holds much relevance in the wake of Steam, Desura, GOG, etc. Most of these outlets provide a better platform for developers to publish their games but they don't really back developers with funds like how a big publisher may. So at the end of the day, it's kind of a hard question to answer.

Comment

"which still begs the question whether LGP has lots all relevance."

I think they have a different problem now.

They published many games for Linux, but their business partners they have started publishing own versions of their games:

Postal?: Share The Pain published by RWS in many stores.
        Shadowgrounds published by Frozenbyte in many stores.
        Shadowgrounds Survivor published by Frozenbyte in many stores.
        Jets'n'Guns published by RakeInGrass on Steam.
        X3: Reunion (X3: Reunion - Special Edition) published by Egosoft on Steam
        Knights and Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom - soon will published by Runesoft on Desura
        Software Tycoon - ported by Runesoft but I do not know if they plan publish it on Desura.

X2: The Threat - they lost the licence for this game

Moreover, Hyperion entertainment plan to publish Shogo on Desura, which was not published by LGP. However, Hyperion entertainment ported Gorky 17 to Linux which was published by LGP, and they probably can start selling a Linux version of this game on Desura.

Comment

Shogo on Desura?
          Where did you get this information from?
          Will they fix it so it works on more modern distros?

Comment

http://www.desura.com/company/linux-game-publishing

No new games for years?

Comment

Originally posted by nikiiv View Post
              Shogo on Desura?
              Where did you get this information from?
              Will they fix it so it works on more modern distros?
              I mentioned about it:

I am pretty sure that they will make updates for this game.

Comment

That actually could be true
                In their games page, most of the games are listed as 'No other version planned' for all but SHOGO

Nice..
                Thanks for the intel

Comment

Didn't lgp make some statement that they would release some means to disable their DRM if they went under...

Comment

Originally posted by nikiiv View Post
                    That actually could be true
                    In their games page, most of the games are listed as 'No other version planned' for all but SHOGO
                    This is not a correct hint about Shogo on Desura.

I know that they have not changed information on this game section of the website since many years.
                    I had some luck to find news on French website about Hyperion entertainment, and now that is the only proof that they plan to publish Shogo on Desura.

Comment

Working...
                    X