The Quality Of The Witcher 2 Linux Port Is Upsetting Many Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Then don't play it on linux. It's not like the kidnapped Nigerian girls will be returned to their families if you play the game on linux.
    Why this ponitless flame attempt?
    There is a lot of people who use Linux as their exclusive system and when their PCs fit minimal or even outmatch recommended configuration and they still can't play without tearing/freezing/lagging/crashing, there is something wrong with the game, not with the user (player) nor platform (linux).

Comment

Originally posted by Redshirt001 View Post
      Look, I've been playing the linux port for a day or two, and I've found that with almost everything enabled or on high (aside from motion blur since I don't like it, SSAO and Ubersampling) that the performance is at least adequate, and more importantly consistent. Under wine there are always performance spikes where the framerate goes down the toilet in certain parts. There are also graphical bits that don't work properly under wine, like shadows.

All this works just fine with the linux version, and my performance is nothing to sneeze at, even if I do hope it gets optimised in the future. It's better than under wine, and wine takes a long time to get things like The Witcher 2 right, if ever.
      Care to share your specs and fps? My performance is pretty consistently bad (15fps on highest settings, 20-25fps on lowest settings).

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
        There is a lot of people who use Linux as their exclusive system and when their PCs fit minimal or even outmatch recommended configuration and they still can't play without tearing/freezing/lagging/crashing, there is something wrong with the game, not with the user (player) nor platform (linux).
        I guess there is so much flamework outhere

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - Check out other games from CD PROJEKT REDhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/1091500https://store.steampowered.com/app/1284410https://store.steampowered.com/app/292030/Check out other games from CD PROJEKT REDhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/20900/https://store.steampowered.com/app/973760/https://store.steampowered.com/app/303800About the GameThe second installment in the RPG saga about professional monster slayer Geralt of Rivia, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings spins a mature, thought-provoking tale to produce one of the most elaborate and unique role-playing games ever released on PC. A time of untold chaos has come. Mighty forces clash behind the scenes in a struggle for power and influence. The Northern Kingdoms mobilize for war. But armies on the march are not enough to stop a bloody conspiracy...KEY FEATURESIMMERSIVE, MATURE, NON-LINEAR STORYDive into an immense, emotionally-charged, non-linear story set in a fantasy world unlike any other. Embark on a complex, expansive adventure in which every decision may lead to dire consequences. Engage in over 40 hours of narrative-driven gameplay, featuring 4 different beginnings and 16 different endings. SPECTACULAR, BRUTAL, TACTICAL COMBATFight using a combat system that uniquely fuses dynamic action with well-developed RPG mechanics.Use an array of unique witcher weapons, featuring both melee and ranged options.Prepare for battle using a wide array of tactical options: craft potions, set traps and baits, cast magic and sneak up on your foes. REALISTIC, VAST, CONSISTENT GAME WORLDDiscover a deep, rich game world where ominous events shape the lives of entire populations while bloodthirsty monsters rage about. Explore numerous, varied locations: from vibrant trading posts, to bustling mining towns, to mighty castles and fortresses; and discover the stories they have to tell and dark secrets they hide.CUTTING-EDGE TECHNOLOGYExperience a believable living and breathing world, featuring beautiful graphics and utilizing sophisticated in-game mechanics made possible thanks to CD PROJEKT RED in-house technology, REDengine. ABOUT THE WITCHER 2 ENHANCED EDITIONThe Enhanced Edition features lots of new and exciting content.Additional hours of gameplay: New adventures set in previously unseen locations, expanding the story and introducing new characters, mysteries and monsters.New game introduction and cinematics: All new animations and cutscenes, including a new pre-rendered cinematic intro directed by BAFTA Award winner and Academy Award nominee Tomasz BagiÅ„ski.All DLCs and improvements introduced in the 2.0 version of the game, including:Arena Mode — an arcade mode that allows players to fight against endless waves of enemies and test their combat skills.A new, extensive tutorial system, gradually and smoothly immersing players in the game world and Geralt’s adventures.Dark Mode — a difficulty level designed for hardcore players, with unique dark-themed items. At this difficulty level, even greater emphasis is placed on battle preparation, defensive maneuvers and opportunistic attacking.The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition comes with these bonus items: Official soundtrack in MP3 formatA map of the game's worldA quest handbook for both novice and experienced role-playing fansGame manual“Reasons of State” digital comic book.

It is simply bad "port" or at the best we can say... it is good as non-native port .

Comment

This isn't a port at all. Remember, if it's not Linux native code that use OpenGL it's not a port. Period.

They just embedded an emulator. Talk about being lazy. And of course the emulator isn't even Wine but some .... nobody has ever heard about. Good job, CD Projekt. /facepalm

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            I opened a "LETS FIX IT instead of complaining!" thread here to support the devs!:
            http://steamcommunity.com/app/20920/...8180993106963/
            VD answered my request to support / answer in the above thread via email:
            "Rest assured we are paying attention and working with Valve, the video driver team and CDP to address as many issues a possible. CDP have asked us to allow them to respond officially, so we will not be responding to threads directly. But do please continue, we are totally committed to addressing the current issues. We will continue to monitor the thread!"

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I haven't checked myself if this is true or not but there is no doubt in my mind you're right. With catalyst 14.4, I doubt the game is that bad. I personally haven't been able to play the game at all, because Steam for whatever reason thinks I don't have GLX extensions or direct rendering, when glxinfo says I do (and because of this, I'm unable to play any of my steam games). I have low expectations for this game to play well on my hardware, but I'm honestly ok with waiting until it gets patched up a little.

I bought the game to help the cause, but I'm likely only going to play it on Windows.
              Not sure if anyone has already replied to this, but make sure you have 32bit portion of the catalist drivers installed. I've ran into the same issue, and it's always because Steam (and probably 90% of all the games under it) are still 32bit, and your OS only needs 64bit libraries to say you have direct rendering.

So install those, and you should be golden (well as much as Catalyst will do for anyone).

Comment

Originally posted by borsook View Post
                Actually, I am very hopeful about this technology, I am a strategy games player, 90% of them have no graphics requirement, running great on anything, but do not have Linux versions. If using this proves less time consuming and cheaper than a full port, then I do hope for more games running under Linux... and in this genre, I really do not care about how they are running.
                So while windows are getting fully native games you wanna stick with emulated crap?. it takes much for resources than needed when emulated. And emulation can never be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
                  So while windows are getting fully native games you wanna stick with emulated crap?. it takes much for resources than needed when emulated. And emulation can never be perfect.
                  Sure it can; the BSNES emulator's "accuracy" mode perfectly emulates the SNES's various timings, and there's an emulator for PONG machines that perfectly accounts for transistor rise/fall times. Granted, they both run like crap as a result, but both are considered perfect emulators.

Comment

This is already available in the TPB.

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                      If you thought that was flaming, you haven't read any linux related mailing list or news group.

That user wasn't linux exclusive and if you are having those problems on linux when they don't exist on Windows or Mac then it stands to reason the problem exists in the platform.

Comment

Working...
                      X