The Quality Of The Witcher 2 Linux Port Is Upsetting Many Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
    Sorry to post this here, I realize this is not legal, but I also realize this is not a real native Linux port, and I know there will be people here who would want to still give this a try to measure performance, and I wouldn't want to tell people to go buy something that is not really native in the first place.

It's much better to support companies who actually take the time to produce real/native Linux ports of their games.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      That user wasn't linux exclusive and if you are having those problems on linux when they don't exist on Windows or Mac then it stands to reason the problem exists in the platform.
      Except of course when the developer of the wrapper, like in this case, already admitted that it is the wrapper that makes the problems. But it doesn't matter at all. When a Linux-only user buys that game because it has a Linux version he has the right to expect that it works flawlessly on his machine when it meets the minimum requirements stated by the developers. In this case many with far better machines can not play this game reasonably.

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
        So while windows are getting fully native games you wanna stick with emulated crap?. it takes much for resources than needed when emulated. And emulation can never be perfect.
        I'm not sure you know what the word "emulated" means.

There's a difference between emulating and wrapping.

Comment

Sorry to post this here, I realize this is not legal, but I also realize this is not a real native Linux port, and I know there will be people here who would want to still give this a try to measure performance, and I wouldn't want to tell people to go buy something that is not really native in the first place.

It's much better to support companies who actually take the time to produce real/native Linux ports of their games.
          So...you support stealing just because it uses a wrapper?

ML better take these posts down fast, before he gets into real legal hot water...

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post

ML better take these posts down fast, before he gets into real legal hot water...
            Sharing != stealing

Comment

Sharing != stealing
              Maybe not stealing, but still a copyright/license violation. if someone violates the copyright with using GPL code in a proprietary closed source project the outcry would be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
                So while windows are getting fully native games you wanna stick with emulated crap?. it takes much for resources than needed when emulated. And emulation can never be perfect.
                It's seminative port, some expensive things are rewritten to opengl entirely, some are wrapped around via directx<->opengl translation layer.
                This can be semi efficiently (for example, dota2 port on steam has near windows performance level, but it took about 1 year to reach that kind of performance, initial port was just as slow as witcher2).

The real questions are tho:

1) Why are reccomended/minimal requirements completely false???
                2) Will Eon guys keep working on port and polishing performance??

1) matters the most, if valve said that R270/GTX860 can't even run at 60fps, it would be fine.
                But their 'recommended' specs cant even run 30fps....

Comment

Michael is safe unless the copyright owner complains and he refuses to take it down, due to the fact that it's user generated content (safe harbor exception).

That said, it's pretty funny considering the way Michael is always going on about ad blockers.

Comment

Sharing != stealing
                    No, stealing. One physical copy, one license. By sharing that physical copy, you are stealing. End discussion.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Michael is safe unless the copyright owner complains and he refuses to take it down, due to the fact that it's user generated content (safe harbor exception).

That said, it's pretty funny considering the way Michael is always going on about ad blockers.
                    Technically, no. The DMCA's Safe Harbor provision only applies to ISP's, which Phoronix is not. Thus, it falls on the sites to scrub their content.

Comment

No, stealing. One physical copy, one license. By sharing that physical copy, you are stealing. End discussion.

Technically, no. The DMCA's Safe Harbor provision only applies to ISP's, which Phoronix is not. Thus, it falls on the sites to scrub their content.
                      Sorry but I respectfully disagree with you. Stealing implies that I take something away from you, when I copy data I'm just doing that, copying or sharing the data. You still have the original copy so I didn't steal anything from you.

Do you suggest we remove the copying functionality from operating systems or bittorrent just to ensure nobody will do this?

Sorry but I don't agree that sharing is stealing, it isn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X