Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst On Ubuntu 14.04 Linux Competes Well With Windows 8.1

Phoronix: Catalyst On Ubuntu 14.04 Linux Competes Well With Windows 8.1

After this week having carried out benchmarks showing Intel's Windows 8.1 OpenGL driver is outperforming their open-source Linux driver but NVIDIA's driver on Ubuntu Linux is commonly faster than Windows 8.1, the time has come to benchmark several different AMD Radeon graphics cards under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with all available updates and each OS using the latest Catalyst 14.4 driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This one made me thinking.

When i read the article i saw some tests running in Linux, but not in Windows. Aren't we used to see the exact opposite of that behaviour ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
      This one made me thinking.

When i read the article i saw some tests running in Linux, but not in Windows. Aren't we used to see the exact opposite of that behaviour ?
      What made you think everything must run on Windows? That Happens

Comment

Look cool, but...

playing Planetary Annihilation on my system with an ATI Radeon HD 6870 running LMDE & the latest catalyst driver tells me another story.
        It runs great in the early game, but as soon as you build huge armies, the game lags like hell. No Problems on Windows, though. Even with multiple planets filled with giant armies.

This could also be a problem with Planetary Annihilation itself, or with LMDE, but I've noticed this with a few other games (DoD: Source, Counter Strike, Team Fortress2), too.

I'd really like to buy a new ATI card next, because of their open source driver being much better than NVIDIA's, but I need the proprietary driver to deliver the max performance, if it's needed.
        And this is exactly what the NVIDIA driver does.

I think I'll go for the first vendor that adds Wayland support to their driver, which currently looks like it's gonna be NVIDIA...

Comment

Interesting results. I'm considering switching back to catalyst but there seem to be too many serious performance issues to consider that. I also need some definite proof if catalyst will or already does support wayland (which AFAIK it doesn't and has no plans to).

Comment

It's a shame the quality of Cataylst on both Windows and Linux is just awful.

AMD can't make drivers on any platform. I stick to using the open source drivers under Ubuntu because of the performance problems and lockups I have under Cataylst.

Comment

Originally posted by VanCoding View Post
              playing Planetary Annihilation on my system with an ATI Radeon HD 6870 running LMDE & the latest catalyst driver tells me another story.
              It runs great in the early game, but as soon as you build huge armies, the game lags like hell. No Problems on Windows, though. Even with multiple planets filled with giant armies.
              I did some testing to compare bare rendering performance between Windows and Ubuntu 12.04 with Catalyst:
              Two days ago I'm get new hardware with VT-d support and now I'm finally configured it. For a while I was wonder about PA performance difference between...

I'm also done several games on Catalyst and everything looks fine except fact that it's working like a crap on Kubuntu 14.04.

I suppose you might suffer from "UI lag" or something like that so it's good idea to look at this topic:
              Changes: see edits at the end ==== So the UI in PA in some scenarios lags. At least some of them are caused by tooooo many Knockout updates happening....

Comment

I think I'll go for the first vendor that adds Wayland support to their driver, which currently looks like it's gonna be NVIDIA...
                I don't know what you're trying to say by the above comment but Wayland is supported and testable on anything but nVidia right now. IIRC Intel is removing UMS support entirely with the next release of the Linux kernel.

Comment

The results are largely similar to that of nVidia's Linux vs Windows comparison, which makes me think whether the bottleneck in Unigine demo isn't the driver nor the hardware, but elsewhere in the OS. Probably it's just the demo doing something the wrong way.

Comment

This could also be a problem with Planetary Annihilation itself, or with LMDE, but I've noticed this with a few other games (DoD: Source, Counter Strike, Team Fortress2), too.
                    I've got no idea about Planetary Annhihilation in particular, but those Source games and many others will run Direct3D code on Windows and OpenGL on linux.

I don't think anyone will try telling you that AMD's GL code is anywhere close to their support for Direct3D, and that doesn't have anything to do with being windows or linux, it's just the API where they have focused work on in their driver.

These tests Michael ran are specifically ones that run OpenGL only on both windows and linux, making them a more even test in terms of running the same driver code on both systems.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 23 May 2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X