No announcement yet.

The Witcher 2 Officially Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it seems to be a runtime wrapper (as wine) but it is not wine. It seems the eon2 code is entirelly custom. Still, it is not a recompile, rather just a loader for windows binaries. A pity.

Comment

Only 4 bucks until tomorrow. Should I get it? It's not a top down or alike but a full blown 3D FPS? I remember somewhere a high graphics rating for this.

Comment

It's not a FPS, it is a 3D RPG. Kinda cinematic, story-driven with some limited freedom of exploration, i.e. not linear.

Comment

Can you play this game without playing the first part (witcher 1) or isn't a independent story? Is really made with a wrapper? Where is the info?

Thank you,

Comment

Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
            Is really made with a wrapper? Where is the info?

UPDATE
            It's no wonder people are experiencing poor performance issues, it looks like it uses a wrapper called "eON" from Virtual Programming who did the Mac port.

Personally I am displeased by this as the performance on the lowest setting for me isn't great and my rig is pretty damned powerful. I am actually glad I paid so little for what I class as a rather lazy "port" if you can call it that.

If you scan around the files, you will note these:
            eONprecompiledShaders32.dat
            witcher2.vpfs
            VPFS_registry.vpfsdb

Pretty obvious it uses their eON tech, what a shame. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't run so terribly, I've said before that I am glad our purchases count for Linux rather than Windows, but for newer games it's just not right.
            That's not an error, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition is now out for SteamOS/Linux and I am downloading it as I type this. Look at the bottom for the latest updates, it's not a native port.

Comment

But this one is fairly better explination i think, because it is right from the developer :

Comment

So, is it ported or emulated? Open GL 2.0 cards are not supported?

Comment

This eON sounds like Valve's ToGL. I honestly have no problems if those wrappers are used to post existing games to Linux, as long as the game house stick around fixing bugs after the release.
                  While I'd like a native port of everything, we have to remember that Linux is still a niche market, and that it's probably just not profitable to "natively" port an old game that many people have already played and that few will buy again/for the first time.

To be honest, I doubt that those ports are even profitable at all. My guess is that everyone is just betting on SteamOS success.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                    This eON sounds like Valve's ToGL.
                    No it's not. Valve games are native ELFs, they compiled on Linux and for Linux, they handle window management, sound and user input using native libraries like SDL. ToGL it's just part of their rendering pipeline.

eON it's just some kind of Wine that run Windows executable (compiled on Windows) with wrapper and this is where all problems with screen resolution and input come from.

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                    I honestly have no problems if those wrappers are used to post existing games to Linux, as long as the game house stick around fixing bugs after the release.
                    Problems is: Wine is already there and it's working a lot better than this crappy wrapper. And crappy wrapper won't become any better.

Comment

@_SXX_, then why does it require SDL2?

Comment

Working...
                      X