KDBUS Is Still Outstanding, Not Part Of The Mainline Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    That's not exactly the way i remember it happening. I thought Gnome developers basically NIH-syndromed DCOP, and just declared that it was an fd.org project by themselves. Then later KDE 4 dropped their DCOP solution and moved to DBus as a way to try and bring the desktops closer together.
    A bit of column A, a bit of column B. Dbus was started by a bunch of mostly-Gnome guys, who wanted an IPC system suitable for building a new desktop stack (HAL, and all that tangle that eventually evolved into bits of systemd, upower, udisks, etc).

For various reasons (some technical, some political as always), they weren't happy with the existing ones like DCOP, and built something new. It caught on, and the KDE guys liked it enough to adopt it as a replacement for DCOP...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
      And if by "KDE devs for KDE", you mean Havoc Pennington and a bunch of other Gnome developers, yes, that's correct.
      go change wikipedia if you bother so much, AUTHORS file lists many many names (cba to travel back in git time)
      my point there was that it is OO stile (before you say, i know gnome people are hot for OO)

Comment

Working...
      X