Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Ways To Optimize Your Linux Battery Life

Phoronix: Other Ways To Optimize Your Linux Battery Life

After writing recently about the PowerTOP 2.6 release and mentioning that some new power consumption/efficiency tests were in the works at Phoronix, a few readers wrote in asking about other ways to extend their battery life under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel graphics users make sure you're running rc6=7, LVDS downclocking, fbc compression, semaphores CAN help,

Intel / realtek audio users: both have power management module options

Also make sire you disable nmi watchdog
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

on my intel laptop, I HAVE to downclock the GPU or else my system shuts down if GPU usage gets too high. It doesn't appear CPU max clock has any effect on this.

Comment

More comprehensive post...

[Intel Graphics Users]
        Originally posted by /etc/modprobe.d/intel_gfx_powersave.conf
        options i915 semaphores=1 i915_enable_rc6=7 i915_enable_fbc=1
        [Radeon Graphics Users]
        Originally posted by /etc/modprobe.d/radeon_gfx_powersave.conf
        options radeon dpm=1
        ** "modinfo radeon | grep parm" also reveals parameters: "aspm" "runpm" "dynclks"-- effects unknown. If you want to experiment, set them all to 1 **

[Intel Sound Card Users]
        Originally posted by /etc/modprobe.d/intel_audio_powersave.conf
        options snd_hda_intel power_save=1
        [AC97 (Realtek?) Sound Card Users]
        Originally posted by /etc/modprobe.d/ac97_audio_powersave.conf
        options snd_ac97_codec power_save=1
        [Kernel parameters]
        Originally posted by /etc/sysctl.d/dirty.conf
        vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 1500
        Originally posted by /etc/sysctl.d/disable_watchdog.conf
        kernel.nmi_watchdog = 0
        [Intel CPU Users]
        Downloading, compile, and run Intel's Thermal_Daemon

Web Link: https://github.com/01org/thermal_daemon
        git clone: https://github.com/01org/thermal_daemon.git

Dependencies and instructions for compilation on Fedora(-like) and Ubuntu(-like) systems are given in the Readme. Systemd .service file is provided. Merely activate and it will self-administrate.

[All Laptop Users]
        Laptop-mode-tools has mostly been supplanted by TLP from what I can tell . TLP started out as a mostly thinkpad-centric power management service but its grown beyond that. Some things are still thinkpad-limited but its only 1 or 2 things.

Arch wiki link: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP
        Instructions: http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-...anagement.html

-------------------------------------------------

Thats all I've got, just my usual pointers for my own gear / if anyone asks me. Michael, feel free to reference / cite this post if you feel it necessary or helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
          @Ericg Thank you very much! It is probably the most valuable post ever made in Phoronix forums.
          Not a problem Siavash. I made the first post from my phone, and afterwards I figured "Why not actually explain what the hell I'm talking about?" so I threw that second post together really quickly.

Just an addendum: The post above is by no means meant to be a completely comprehensive list of power management. Its just the changes -I- usually make and then call it a day. Obviously Nouveau is missing-- they are running at minimum clockspeeds anyway... Also Wireless Power Management is purposefully left out. I left it out because at least in my personal experience the "Power Management" code makes it pingpong back and forth between power states so fast that all the user gets is crappy performance.

Comment

ADDENDUM!

Just noticed there is a mistake in the above post. Intel Graphics Users line should actually be...

Code:
            options i915 semaphores=1 i915_enable_rc6=7 i915_enable_fbc=1 [B]lvds_downclock=1[/B]
            Addition is bolded. That will downclock the refresh rate of your laptop's screen for increased power savings.

EDIT: DISCLAIMER: I make no promises that these changes will work reliably or safely on anyone's hardware other than my own. Happy hacking.

Comment

pm tricks

I found some really easy "tricks" following this link and reading the comments:

I now copy a number of scripts be run "automagically" every time laptop is on power and using powertop I find only 2 actions that I am recommended following that. One being my wireless I ignore that (as the foss driver I use do not seem to have powersavings anyhow) and the other some setting that does not affect much. Currently my battery easily outlast my UPS that only feeds a wireless router and an outdoor wimax unit

Comment

snd_ac97_codec power_save=1
                You can do that also in the kernel config if you bake your own kernels (Gentoo anyone?). There is also timeout values and other options to be set. It spreads a bit though. Some of the options are in the energy management section, some in drivers, some in CPU section of the config.

> aspm
                PCIe ASPM maybe?

> dynclks

go there and check
                --> "Linux kernel parameters"

What about these ACPI tables? I guess the kernel can now handle most of the abominations made by MSFT compilers there but still... is there any good tutorial for beginners how to get that stuff fixed?
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

There are many tutorials, google for the Intel compiler name (iasl).

Comment

We invite you to netext73.pl. Home Page for now only in Polish - soon also in English. The program itself will automatically switch to English or French - based on system settings.

Program and delivered solutions are tailored to Ubuntu and derivatives systems, such as Mint, elemntary, and soon Debian / Steam OS

The program distributes Netext'73 my solution: kernels, energy management and efficiency scripts - APM, the latest microcode / Linux firmware and the appropriate entries in Grub.

Installation of these components allows for improvement: productivity, responsiveness, energy efficiency and security.

With solutions used can achieve the results outlined below:

Energy - Kubuntu 14.04 - idle mode - Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro:

640 mW = 0.6 watts - kernel v28.8-i7-pro - other solutions referred to above

301 mW> 0.3 watts - kernel v29.0-i7-pro - Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro + other solutions which

MSI X370 - AMD APU E-350 - Kubuntu 12.10:

4.01 watt - kernel v26.1-brazos - other solutions referred to above

4.02 watt - kernel v26.1-brazos - other solutions referred to above

Under the current kernels is sometimes better

Responsiveness and efficiency of the system:

greetings

Comment

Working...
                    X