Systemd Continues Getting Bigger, Almost At 550k Lines Of Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
    So let's see if I'm understanding this right. Which one of these statements describes the systemd architecture?

* systemd is a monolitic binary that includes inside a lot of services (like DHCP, dbus, and so on), but using #defines is possible to compile only some of them.

* systemd is growing with new services and more, but they still run like another process. The diference is that these services (like DHCP, dbus and so on) have been modified to integrate with systemd, and are now hosted inside the source tree of systemd, but can still be considered independent binaries.

Thanks.
    The second one. On my system there are 41 binaries in /usr/lib/systemd and ~15 in /usr/bin, but probably by now it's more than that.

Comment

Tom Gundersen is an Arch developer, right? Arch really took on systemd. Ever since then it has also become really popular. Despite having a relatively small team.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        Tom Gundersen is an Arch developer, right? Arch really took on systemd. Ever since then it has also become really popular. Despite having a relatively small team.
        It seems that he now works for Red Hat

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          It seems that he now works for Red Hat

https://plus.google.com/+TomGundersen/
          Yes, but Arch is completely done by volunteers. Red Hat is probably his day job. He is very active in the mailing list, and at least maintains a fair bit of Arch packages.

Unless there's some other "Tom Gundersen".

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Yes, but Arch is completely done by volunteers. Red Hat is probably his day job. He is very active in the mailing list, and at least maintains a fair bit of Arch packages.
            Sure. It is not that uncommon for Red Hat developers to be involved in other distributions including Debian, Arch, openSUSE etc and they do so voluntarily. What I was pointing out that his contributions to systemd is probably part of his day job now.

Comment

Originally posted by porken View Post

Linux is meant to do a lot more, not to mention that there's probably a lot of code in there for modules.
              Systemd is also meant to do a lot more - it will eventually provide a complete environment and plumbing framework for sandboxing and running Gnome apps and bundled libraries, including security, IPC, discovery of APIs, etc. so that the Gnome App Store can download apps direct to a user's destop and have them run, regardless of the underlying distribution (as long as it uses systemd). See Apps for Gnome Desktops and video: Sandboxed applications for GNOME

Comment

* systemd is growing with new services and more, but they still run like another process. The diference is that these services (like DHCP, dbus and so on) have been modified to integrate with systemd, and are now hosted inside the source tree of systemd, but can still be considered independent binaries.
                Originally posted by Koorac View Post
                The second one. On my system there are 41 binaries in /usr/lib/systemd and ~15 in /usr/bin, but probably by now it's more than that.
                But then... I don't understand where is the problem about systemd...

Comment

Mostly in the head of forum trolls

Comment

I do not wish to run it. Do you have a problem with that? Are you telling me that I am being stupid and wrongthinking because I don't wish to run systemd? I'm not even getting into technical issues, let's ignore that for the moment.

My problem is that it is getting to be rather difficult to not use it. Fortunately I'm running Gentoo on my systems, and the biggest problem is masking Gnome back to pre-3.8 while I figure out how to replace all of the pieces. Are you telling me I should not have the freedom to not use systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                      And why can't VLC spin off its functions for rendering subtitles and changing the volume of a sound into separate libraries so it can be used with other programs rather than just with VLC?
                      You mean the freetype library it uses to render subtitles? Or its functions for demuxing, decoding audio/video streams like... libav?

And you get to keep your existing pid1. [SCNR]

Comment

Working...
                      X