X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scjet View Post
    The Snowden's,..., and Assange's already DID
    -too stoopid to look ?
    None of them claimed systemd is sponsored by NSA. The problem is looking for the excuse about the inability to adapt to the new technologies solving real problem that plagued Linux distributions for decades. Systemd detractors spent too much times attacking it rather than coming with alternative during four years.
    Either show the backdoor in system or propose real working alternative. Based on the topics, it becomes clear most systemd detractors offer nothing to improve Linux ecosystems.
    Last edited by finalzone; 29 May 2014, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• So how do you claim Systemd can send my encryption passphrase to the NSA

Originally posted by scjet View Post
      systemd = just another NSA-sponsored injection into the Linux bloodsystem.
      How can Systemd do something like sending my encryption passphrase to the NSA especially when I have a systemd service file calling my own code to unlock my disks rather than the current cryptsetup implementation due to having many disks to unlock. To be of use to the NSA for exploiting computers, systemd would have to either control what the network stack is permitted to access, install a backdoored SSL binary, or install a backdoored cryptsetup binary or script. The service files are far too simple to pull something like this.

The init system isn't even IN the path of keyboard-bios-kernel-cryptsetup, all it does is call those post-kernel programs that are. As for systemd's native cryptsetup modules, the source code is available, tell me where you think the NSA put a back door in cryptsetup.c . I just looked through it line by line and could not find any references to sending something out over a network or saving it to a file on disk somewhere, hell you'd have to MOUNT a disk to save from disk in the initramfs.

As for cryptsetup-generator.c, all generators do is write service files on the fly, and all service files do is fire up the various programs that must be started in the boot process. They are not the programs themselves.

OK, now this one: How can systemd help the NSA get my email passwords or read the content of my Tor traffic? I don't have Facebook and the only thing systemd needs to do to get the NSA into that is boot the NSA's own computers (my guess would be RHEL on those) to receive all the snitching Facebook happily sends them unsolicited. In short, my guess is systemd does for the NSA the exact same thing it does for me: start up their computers and then get out of the way, while presenting a consistant interface for troubleshooting.

If you claim systemd was written to allows remote exploits (by NSA or anyone else), name the part of systemd that permits someone over the network to get root on my box. How does using a service file to start the programs that handle networking suddenly open those programs to exploits, and how would an exploitable program having been started by the init system mean it could take control of its parent process to control OTHER programs started by the init system-in ANY init system.

Systemd is an init system like upstart or Sysvinit, it is not the kernel and it it not black magic. If A controls B, it does not mean that B controls A. To control an opponents computer by screwing with systemd, it seems you would first need to break root, and having done that you no longer need to deal with systemd unless of course your lack of familarity with systemd meant you could not write and test the service file needed to restart your keylogger, phone home CIPAV, or whatever at the next boot.
      Last edited by Luke; 30 May 2014, 01:18 AM.

Comment

• Looking at the graph i would say something happened in systemd in late 2012. What new role did it take back then from being an init system to being an operating system?

Comment

• Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          Looking at the graph i would say something happened in systemd in late 2012. What new role did it take back then from being an init system to being an operating system?
          A quick look at the NEWS files from around that time, my guess would be that http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/hwdb is the culprit (which just shows how worthless counting the number of lines is).

Comment

Working...
          X