Systemd Continues Getting Bigger, Almost At 550k Lines Of Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
    Have you ever heard the concept of "Attack Surface"? here you can read about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_surface
    A system deamon that has lots of features, runs as system process, and has its own built-in network services is a intruder's wet dream.
    Systemd as PID1 has zero attack surface towards the outside. The only way ever to be able to exploit PID1 is by already having gained access to the system by eg. exploiting a process that can reached from the net.

It therefore follows logically, that if one cares about PID1, it is vital to secure PID's that has an reachable attack surface like webservers.

When it comes to supervising and protecting processes, systemd really shines; Thanks to inbuilt easy support for kernel capabilities, it is trivial to lock down such exposed processes.
    Take for example the option: "NoNewPrivileges=" If that is enabled when the process is started, it can never ever gain new privileges. So no easy privilege escalation for the intruder.

Other options sets capabilities bounds, another can even be used to white/black-list exactly what systemcalls the process (and all its children) are allowed to use. White/black-list what directories a certain process can see etc.
    More examples here:

On Linux kernel capabilities:

The great thing about all this extra security that systemd can provide, is that much of it can be used without end users doing anything. The options comes for "free" in the distros unit files. There is no need for changing the programs either, so developers doesn't have to restrict themselves or to read up on security aspects they don't care about.

We are not yet in security Nirvana where every application and every running process is properly sand-boxed, but systemd security on top of a MAC like SElinux is getting much closer.

Those really serious about locking down their systems can of course start using some of the more hardcore systemd options right away. As an interesting fact, even PID1 (systemd) can be capability bound, meaning that it can be restricted to only see a limited part of the system, and only use certain features, even though it runs as root. So even compromising PID1 doesn't necessarily mean unrestricted root control.

Comment

• Originally posted by gens View Post
      you can run x rootless for a while now
      thank X devs for that, systemd had nothing to do with it

only reason why not many distros do that is that a user needs privileges to read /dev/input/* (maybe even write, idk; also tty's, but that is another thing)
      should be easy to set up, check the many tutorials on how

maybe libinput (the wayland spawned thing) should take care of this (didn't check thou)

i don't know of many things made possible with systemd "technologies"
      can't think of one actually, maybe you can point some out
      There was some talk about the possibility of doing Xserver rootless for a lot of years, but nothing concrete happened.

And systemd had something to do about this.

Comment

• Originally posted by nachoig View Post
        There was some talk about the possibility of doing Xserver rootless for a lot of years, but nothing concrete happened.

And systemd had something to do about this.

http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...ry/040117.html
        to make x set devices over logind ...

i'l let Michael explain how rootless X is made possible (note the absence of logind and especially of PAM)
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

(hint: it's a kernel thing for the most part)
        give credit where credit is due, this time it is to the linux graphics gurus (and memory management probably)

something else you would like to point out ?

PS it works without logind... it's even default on bsd

PPS http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...ly/001293.html guess you can also thank the embedded devs while you'r at it
        Last edited by gens; 25 May 2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gens View Post
          to make x set devices over logind ...

i'l let Michael explain how rootless X is made possible (note the absence of logind and especially of PAM)
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

(hint: it's a kernel thing for the most part)
          give credit where credit is due, this time it is to the linux graphics gurus (and memory management probably)

something else you would like to point out ?

PS it works without logind... it's even default on bsd

PPS http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...ly/001293.html guess you can also thank the embedded devs while you'r at it
          I think the point is that the systemd patches now actually makes it safe to run X as non-root on multi-user systems. (Moblin from your second link was single user). There have been several problems like input devices etc. that could lead to massive security problems when running X as a non-root user.

Here is a link explaining why non-root X servers hasn't gained traction even though there have been hardware support for it:

Here is another:
          The last few months Ive been working on making Xorg run without root rights. Xorg has traditionally always been suid root because it needed direct hardware access. With the advent of kms all hardware access is done by the kernel, so the primary reason for the X server running with root rights…

that explains some of the problems systemd/logind solves like revoking sessions when they becomes inactive etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by interested View Post
            I think the point is that the systemd patches now actually makes it safe to run X as non-root on multi-user systems. (Moblin from your second link was single user). There have been several problems like input devices etc. that could lead to massive security problems when running X as a non-root user.
            if it does it like console kit did, then it just changes the problem (and makes people believe it has been solved)
            not that it matters as X input handling is the biggest security problem, one that can not be solved in X (it would not be X then, or with another solution that comes to mind it would not be linux anymore)

does not matter anyway as the problems will be solved properly with wayland and it's spawns, not by ugly hacking around
            i hope at least, i don't care about security enough to check

systemd's only original thing is the session management, and not even that is original (or something that linux natively lacks, even thou it does but does in a way but does not not solve the bigger problem (not fully solved with mentioned things either))

PS i'm not talking about sessions on purpose and i won't reply to any such things (maybe if console kit and the like are not the topic i would)

just feels like people think that the systemd people made all they use, when i don't honestly know of anything worth mentioning that they themselves made
            (except... maybe.. console kit; even thou i can't, in my honest opinion, say it is a good thing, but i guess it would be worth mentioning)
            actually, i'm sorry, just wanted to correct to who the credit should go to
            Last edited by gens; 26 May 2014, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• systemd = just another NSA-sponsored injection into the Linux bloodsystem.

Comment

• Originally posted by scjet View Post
                systemd = just another NSA-sponsored injection into the Linux bloodsystem.
                Is this opinion or fact?

Comment

• Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                  Is this opinion or fact?
                  it depends on how much you want to read into these, unless you're just a blind fanbot,
                  but systemD'uh, is far from perfect ?:

Bringing some links buried in comments below to the top, I think these critiques of systemd’s integration and maintenance deserve some review. First, kernel developer Theodore Ts’o, the…

Last edited by scjet; 29 May 2014, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by scjet View Post
                    it depends on how much you want to read into these, unless you're just a blind fanbot,
                    but systemD'uh, is far from perfect ?:

Bringing some links buried in comments below to the top, I think these critiques of systemd’s integration and maintenance deserve some review. First, kernel developer Theodore Ts’o, the…

http://boycottsystemd.org/
                    No, it doesn't depend on some random blog post or boycott website, to support your claim that this is NSA-sponsored stuff you have to privide evidence for a connection of the systemd developers and the NSA, and/or review the code and actually find a backdoor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      No, it doesn't depend on some random blog post or boycott website, to support your claim that this is NSA-sponsored stuff you have to privide evidence for a connection of the systemd developers and the NSA, and/or review the code and actually find a backdoor.
                      The Snowden's,..., and Assange's already DID
                      -too stoopid to look ?

Comment

Working...
                      X