Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How-To Install AMD Catalyst 14.4 On Fedora 20 With Linux 3.14

Default How-To Install AMD Catalyst 14.4 On Fedora 20 With Linux 3.14

Phoronix: How-To Install AMD Catalyst 14.4 On Fedora 20 With Linux 3.14

Yesterday there was a guest post by a reader on Phoronix about the troubles in using the AMD Catalyst driver on Fedora Linux. While it involves more steps than most users would like, another Phoronix reader has written in this morning with the approach for getting the Catalyst 14.4 driver to work on Fedora 20 -- even with the Linux 3.14 kernel where the Catalyst driver doesn't yet have any mainline support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY5NjE

More important than providing instructions on doing something retarded; recommend to source of said instructions to make an appointment with a psychiatrist.
    They are obviously in need of serious help.

Default Thanks, Michael!

Hey, thanks for the post, Michael!

@droidhacker - I have no idea what you're talking about. I should see a psychiatrist? Installing the Catalyst 14.4 driver in Fedora 20 is retarded? What?

Switching over to KDE will make me miss the GtkHeaderBar that combines the title bar and toolbar into one. It would be nice for KDE to take advantage of all the GNOME 3.12 applications. But at least I can setup a global menu bar in KDE like Ubuntu Unity does (I miss the HUD, though).

With that in mind, I'm not following instructions that involve switching desktop environments just to install Catalyst 14.4. I will be waiting for Elementary Isis to come out.

What are they doing? Catalyst works nicely on Arch with Gnome-3.12 via packages from the catalyst repository...

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    Switching over to KDE will make me miss the GtkHeaderBar that combines the title bar and toolbar into one. It would be nice for KDE to take advantage of all the GNOME 3.12 applications. But at least I can setup a global menu bar in KDE like Ubuntu Unity does (I miss the HUD, though).

With that in mind, I'm not following instructions that involve switching desktop environments just to install Catalyst 14.4. I will be waiting for Elementary Isis to come out.
    HUD is possible with Krunner appmenu, instruction are here: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/how-t...runner-in.html

Impressive howto. The needed patch is already in the official Debian repository. But well, for some noobs

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Impressive howto. The needed patch is already in the official Debian repository. But well, for some noobs
    And in the Gentoo overlay.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Seriously? The "fix" requires you to change DE? No wonder nobody wants to mantain fglrx in RPMFusion...

Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    Seriously? The "fix" requires you to change DE? No wonder nobody wants to mantain fglrx in RPMFusion...
    You can change DE or pretend to be smarter than Red Hat and recompile those Gnome packages , one of them even maintain those packages .

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=295881
    Last edited by dungeon; 05-21-2014 at 07:57 PM.