Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes With Clang

Phoronix: Qt Creator Can Be Compiled In Under 3 Minutes With Clang

One of LLVM's Clang compiler benefits that has long been trumpeted has been about its speedy compiler times in comparison to GCC. The latest results of using Clang with Qt Creator further reinforce the insanely fast compile times...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No one has learnt anything about free software in the past few years?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

One of LLVM's Clang compiler benefits that has long been trumpeted has been about its speedy compiler times in comparison to GCC. The latest results of using Clang with Qt Creator further reinforce the insanely fast compile times...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY5NjA
      I think you totally missed the point here Michael. This is about so-called unity builds vs normal builds and not about clang vs gcc.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
        I think you totally missed the point here Michael. This is about so-called unity builds vs normal builds and not about clang vs gcc.
        Thank you, talk about a different topic. I was wondering what black magic voodoo he was performing to decrease the times tenfold! But what is the unity build system?

Comment

So...what are the times with GCC and Meson unity builds?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY5NjA
            Another crapple sponsored article? Get your facts straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
              Thank you, talk about a different topic. I was wondering what black magic voodoo he was performing to decrease the times tenfold! But what is the unity build system?
              I normally build it in 4 minutes using icecream, so I was assuming he was just enjoying cool icecream like any sane developer.

Comment

Error: too many overloads for 'unity'
                Error: no definition found for 'unity'

Seriously, what's with having to pick new marketing names for old things, and ungooglable names at that?

For google: Unity builds = amalgamation = cat *.c > bigfile.c

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Error: too many overloads for 'unity'
                  Error: no definition found for 'unity'

Seriously, what's with having to pick new marketing names for old things, and ungooglable names at that?

For google: Unity builds = amalgamation = cat *.c > bigfile.c
                  New marketing names? This technique has been used in game development for years, and has, AFAIK, always been called 'unity builds'.

And I must say, I agree with everyone who says that this article should have had a different name ...

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                    New marketing names? This technique has been used in game development for years, and has, AFAIK, always been called 'unity builds'.
                    This is the first I hear of that name used like that. Which incidentally is also a distro, a DE, and a cash-grab game engine, among many other things, making it ungooglable.

I know the tech as amalgamation, first publicized by sqlite in 2007.

Comment

Working...
                    X