Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server Commit Activity Continues Declining

Phoronix: X.Org Server Commit Activity Continues Declining

After looking earlier today at development statistics for Wayland's Weston, here's a fresh look at the work going into the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Makes sense. The server is, for the most part, stable. Some features are missing to ease the transition to Wayland, but I guess most developers are comfortable with the idea of Wayland taking over eventually, so development on X should be slowing down.

Comment

Work naturally fades as one reaches perfection.

Comment

perfection?

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Work naturally fades as one reaches perfection.
        perfection lololol hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
          Makes sense. The server is, for the most part, stable. Some features are missing to ease the transition to Wayland, but I guess most developers are comfortable with the idea of Wayland taking over eventually, so development on X should be slowing down.
          X isn't going away anytime soon. Maybe in 20 years it might become deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            X isn't going away anytime soon. Maybe in 20 years it might become deprecated.
            Nah Wayland will take over completely in a couple years. More and more DE's are converting or planning on converting. Cant stop progress.
            X is a mess for Linux and future technologies. The faster it is gone the better.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
              Nah Wayland will take over completely in a couple years. More and more DE's are converting or planning on converting. Cant stop progress.
              X is a mess for Linux and future technologies. The faster it is gone the better.
              X11 was invented neither for nor is it contained within Linux. Don't be foolish, educate yourself and you will see that Unix != Linux.
              I'll say it again: Xorg will last more than a decade. There's too many (non Linux) systems where Wayland just doesn't make sense.

Comment

I'm actually curious where you think x-org makes more sense.

The only reason I could see someone using xorg is if wayland doesn't support their system yet. I even remember reading that someone was working on porting it to BSD.

Comment

Of if Wayland doesn't support their favorite DE, or they have a non-accel system

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                  I'm actually curious where you think x-org makes more sense.

The only reason I could see someone using xorg is if wayland doesn't support their system yet. I even remember reading that someone was working on porting it to BSD.
                  I won't be switching to Wayland until Cinnamon does or someone ports all its functionality, including a real system tray adn the option of a single all-in one taskbar on the bottom back to a gnome-shell extension that does not constantly get broken. My Atom netbook might never be converted if video playback or battery consumption in Wayland are worse than on noncompositing IceWM over X. That machine has memory bandwidth issues and does not like compositing and video at the same time in terms of performance. Using a "stripped" DE in that kind of machine can mean being able to play 720p video while a full DE with a heavy compositor and circa 2012 Pulseaudio will be almost fully loaded at 360p. If Wayland can defeat a noncompositing X server for raw video performance and battery life the netbook will need it, and I look forward to trying it there. I doubt my big desktops would show much difference from any amount of lightening the DE and video server given tbeir power, but I would love to see this on Cinnamon some day.

Those doing things with old AGP boards (and especially Pentium 3 or older procs) might never be able to use Wayland, given that you can forget software rendering an openGL desktop on most of those machines except just to show that it works. You CAN run compiz on many of those, hell I ran it with good results on an Athlkon 500mhz retrofitted with a Geforce 5000 series card back in 2008, that thing could play VGA video with the then common mpeg-4 codec as long as nothing else was running. It could not play streaming video in the browser, but I've seen even an Athlon 64 with an ATI Radeon HD4350 bog down in Liveleak's jwplayer, which is almost twice as heavy as Youtube's arrangement but not served up with a side order of "content ID."

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Work naturally fades as one asymptotically reaches perfection.
                    There, fixed it for you...

Comment

Working...
                    X