Matthew Garrett: How-To Drive Developers From OS X To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    Mavericks is not free. The cost of Mavericks is incorporated into the price of Apple hardware. Whether or not you own other Apple hardware is irrelevant, you have infringed Apple's copyright (and hence broken the law) by downloading a cracked copy of OS X and installing it on your PC. Your excuse is basically "Apple don't care about my piracy" - but if they did not care, then why would they bother to include protection functions that require cracking? The fact that you have to install a cracked copy means they do care, at least enough to add protections to try and stop people like you from doing it.
    I doubt that he downloaded a "cracked copy". He probably just downloaded it from the Apple store.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
      I doubt that he downloaded a "cracked copy". He probably just downloaded it from the Apple store.
      OS X from the Apple Store includes piracy protection to stop it running on normal PCs. If he did indeed download from the Apple Store, then he must have cracked the TPM protection:

Projects such as OSx86 have succeeded in allowing the Intel-based version of Mac OS X to run on non-Apple hardware largely by bypassing the TPM in software.

The "Trusted Platform Module," or TPM, is a computer chip embedded inside Intel-based Macs to prevent the Intel-based version of Mac OS X from running on non-Apple hardware. (during installation of Mac OS X, Mac OS X interfaces with the TPM. If Mac OS X finds that the TPM doesn't exist, Mac OS X refuses to install or run.) http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/in...un_Mac_OS_X.3F

Comment

Working...
      X