No announcement yet.

Catalyst 14.4 Has Advantages Over Linux 3.15 + Mesa 10.3 Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The performance there has really dropped massively. There must be some sort of regression going on there.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Maybe you think about this i am saying there, that is very true from my angle . And that does not mean i don't value people who making it work, even at that level or any level . If situaton is better for us radeon users, i will say that also - but that is simply not the case when compared with Windows Catalsyt driver .
      well to be honest windows Catalyst ain't so sweet with support and speed either, for example many games will behave like crap or misbehave until a hotfix come later on(battlefields come to my mind) and nVidia is almost always very superior in MMO games especially with Unreal engines like Tera or Aion or Lineage2 or Rift,etc you get the idea.

In the case of MMO like tera with nVidia(same range cards ofc) keep a sane 60FPS even in crowded PVP events but Catalyst with a same bracket AMD cards your FPS plummet if 4 guys run next to you or if you use Crossfire or if you use any type of AA and FXAA is very very blurry compared to nVidia's FXAA.

the only scenario where nvidia and AMD are competitive is in big fat ass AAA+ FPS games mostly(those that meet benchmarks sites hugely)

additionally Crossfire always introduce massive frame glitches in many games(lately got some attention tho) but in MMOs is a guaranteed frame murderer

So sure catalyst windows is tad better than fglrx but nVidia wipe floor with AMD in the driver section, now worth to notice that radeonsi behave better than fglrx or catalyst for many MMO for me in wine(stable FPS in crowded areas, readable text, non blurry FXAA, hours long gameplay stability, safe uber fast switching in KDE) among other minor details

Comment

Look at this with radeonsi on wine . Can you reproduce it? https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77785

Works fine with fglrx, and those later WoS games like Long Haul and Extreme Trucker also works and render fine... also radeonsi is very hiccup prone in those driving games .
        Last edited by dungeon; 16 May 2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Radeonsi seems like only support one case when both fragment/vertex shader is there, but not other combinations bug free... and then i have many situations where even OpenGL 1.2 games does not render properly like this little helicopter game mentioned at the same bug .

Comment

Radeonsi seems like only support one case when both fragment/vertex shader is there, but not other combinations bug free... and then i have many situations where even OpenGL 1.2 games does not render properly like this little helicopter game mentioned at the same bug .
            gimme versions,

mesa
            kernel
            llvm
            xorg

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              gimme versions,

mesa
              kernel
              llvm
              xorg
              Why? Current Sid that means currently: xorg 1.15.1, kernel 3.14.4, llvm 3.4.1, mesa 10.1.2 (i mentioned there that i also tried then current mesa git head). Can you reproduce it or not? Give me versions where it works and i will try, that is not problem for me .

Comment

gimme versions,

mesa
                kernel
                llvm
                xorg
                mmm is your bug report? well i would try llvm 3.5svn, lots of those glitches dissapeared from me in my 7700 but im sure if this is related to CIK chipsets, if you have any public example that behave like that i can test it in mine and see if is actually radeonsi as whole or specific to your GPU generation(CIK and hawaii are kinda new in the driver)

Comment

You have apitraces i maded in that bug . Run these, and you will see if it is reproducible for you.

Comment

You have apitraces i maded in that bug . Run these, and you will see if it is reproducible for you.
                    ok, let me run the trace and see

Comment

ok, let me run the trace and see
                      yes i can reproduce it and is very weird indeed i guess ill have to run it in heavy debug mode because apitrace don't show anything obvious, is possible is a wine issue too tho. could you try running it with WINEDEBUG=+all wine ....

sometimes wine apply weirdness when a card is not nvidia or software from the old ATI days that may exist on fglrx but not on mesa

Comment

Working...
                      X