Catalyst 14.4 Has Advantages Over Linux 3.15 + Mesa 10.3 Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by verde View Post
    I strongly believe after all those years that opensource AMD drivers will NEVER be on par with the closedsource when we talk about Gaming.
    Meh, 7 years for a modern GPU driver written from scratch by ~5-10 people? Does that sound so bad?

Originally posted by verde View Post
    And then because of the quality of the AMD closed-source drivers, I chose nVidia GPU again.
    Yes, give all your money to vendors of proprietary hardware and software. That'll show them.

Comment

As an owner of a 6950, it sad to see that it's still quite a bit behind the cheaper models like 6870.

Where are the deficiencies in the driver regarding the 6950? I know that its' VLIW4 instead of VLIW5, but does that really amount to a result that is up to 40% slower than the 6870, as seen in some of these tests?
      When it should be 20-30% faster, when looking at the catalyst driver.

Comment

Was this with pte and and hyperz?

Comment

DPM?

@Michael: Did you enable DPM with the 3.15 kernel? I use a 6870 card and with the 3.14 kernel dpm is disabled by default.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            Yes, give all your money to vendors of proprietary hardware and software. That'll show them.
            Nouveau support of my new GTX770 is actually better than what I got on my "old" 7870 after waiting for months for things to improve ... Honestly, don't buy a new AMD card, if you have already an "older" one, pre-SI, then fine, but otherwise, run.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Some games already stress the heck out of cards on Linux such as Metro.
              It's true, but if you set console level of quality (720p+low) it's will work just fine even on Intel HD4600. A lot of PS3/Xbox360 players played game this way and it's designed to be playable in this resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                Was this with pte and and hyperz?
                No, it wasn't.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

yes owner drivers will be always superior than open drivers because developers are unable to make open better.

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
                    Nouveau support of my new GTX770 is actually better than what I got on my "old" 7870 after waiting for months for things to improve ... Honestly, don't buy a new AMD card, if you have already an "older" one, pre-SI, then fine, but otherwise, run.
                    Tell me more about RadeonSI, try run Metro LL on Nouveau

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
                      What about performance and stability?

Comment

Working...
                      X