Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 14.4 Has Advantages Over Linux 3.15 + Mesa 10.3 Git

Phoronix: Catalyst 14.4 Has Advantages Over Linux 3.15 + Mesa 10.3 Git

After earlier this week doing an Intel vs. Radeon vs. Nouveau comparison using the very latest open-source Linux graphics driver code in the form of Mesa 10.3-devel and the Linux 3.15 kernel, here's benchmark results comparing the updated open-source AMD Radeon performance on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS against the Catalyst 14.4 Linux graphics driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For gaming catalyst is still needed it seems... but the margin is slowly getting smaller between the two drivers. For non gaming use though, the Catalyst just seems laggy on the desktop to me. I'm basically sticking with the 6870 in one of my PCs strictly for the open source driver performance, for some reason it's the best overall.

Comment

If running Unigine Heaven on the open-source drivers with stock settings, don't be fooled by the numbers as tessellation and other functionality isn't in use by the open-source driver compared to Catalyst!
      Why can't you compare it with tessellation disabled then?
      I see it's quite pointless to even post such results if both drivers technically use different settings.

PS: Again I being upset by fact I have HD6950.

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
        For gaming catalyst is still needed it seems...
        Possible if you have 2560x1440 display, but for mine 1920x1200 there is only few Linux games actually need more GPU performance than mine 6950 with Radeon and one of them don't even support open source drivers at all.

And if you don't need highest graphics settings and fine about console resolution then most of games works great on low/medium even with Intel HD4600. I personally tested Star Conflict, Wasteland 2 and Valve games. Might be when some new titles release on Linux there will be reason to get faster drivers GPU, but for now it's just useless.
        Last edited by _SXX_; 16 May 2014, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Catalyst 14.4 Has Advantages Over Linux 3.15 + Mesa 10.3 Git

After earlier this week doing an Intel vs. Radeon vs. Nouveau comparison using the very latest open-source Linux graphics driver code in the form of Mesa 10.3-devel and the Linux 3.15 kernel, here's benchmark results comparing the updated open-source AMD Radeon performance on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS against the Catalyst 14.4 Linux graphics driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20394
          hmm but then you can use the Catalyst 14.4 + eg Linux kernel 3.14.4. Tests carried out under Ubuntu, so you can try out my build Catalyst - last build cooperate with the Linux-3.14.x.

Regards

Comment

I strongly believe after all those years that opensource AMD drivers will NEVER be on par with the closedsource when we talk about Gaming.

Even when they perform better, is because tesselation and shaders are missing.

And then because of the quality of the AMD closed-source drivers, I chose nVidia GPU again. Their drivers are in excellent shape and their legacy support very good.
            Last edited by verde; 16 May 2014, 02:46 AM.

Comment

What about with PTE.

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
                For gaming catalyst is still needed it seems... but the margin is slowly getting smaller between the two drivers.
                It fully depends of the game: I play Kerbal Space Program and the open source driver is simply great.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                  . Might be when some new titles release on Linux there will be reason to get faster drivers GPU, but for now it's just useless.
                  Some games already stress the heck out of cards on Linux such as Metro.

Comment

Michael, why no GPU usage?

Comment

Working...
                    X