Linux Mint Is Sticking To Ubuntu LTS Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    So the only real question is, when are they going to move over from Xorg to Wayland and how will they handle the transition... Probably they will only consider the transition when Wayland is at 100% function parity with Xorg.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Cinnamon just quits and leaves the job to Gnome 3 Classic + maybe a custom extension here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      I wouldn't be surprised if Cinnamon just quits and leaves the job to Gnome 3 Classic + maybe a custom extension here and there.
      I would be very surprised. The Cinnamon team has put so much effort into diverging from Gnome by now that they're not likely to just scrap all that and go back to Gnome...

Comment

GNOME 3 classic is nowhere close to Cinnamon for features

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        I would be very surprised. The Cinnamon team has put so much effort into diverging from Gnome by now that they're not likely to just scrap all that and go back to Gnome...
        GNOME 3 classic is nowhere near as configurable as Cinnamon, even theming it would require writing custom elements into the GTK3 theme as far as I can tell. I didn't even see options to move the panels around, I rather prefer to use a single panel on the bottom on widescreen displays.

Gnome-shell frippery is far more competitive, but they get hammered by the constant breakage of gnome-shell extensions. I basically see a need to redo the Cinnamon work for Wayland when apps get ported to wayland, meaning to re-fork from a single newer version or else backport the Wayland changes. As long as games, video players, and other graphically demanding applications are on X, however, it will be an actual disadvantage to run Wayland unless you mostly use a wayland compatable browser and little else.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
          As long as games, video players, and other graphically demanding applications are on X, however, it will be an actual disadvantage to run Wayland unless you mostly use a wayland compatable browser and little else.
          Actually, not necessarily. XWayland, once it gets fully optimized and gets composite bypass and all that stuff put in, can potentially be faster than plain X for X apps, and at the very least can have the same performance as X - yes, even for graphically intensive applications such as games or video players - maybe especially for them. The reason being that since XWayland allows each X app to run its own rootless X server, there's no composition done on the X side, and instead it can be done by the Wayland compositor which can do it much more efficiently, utilizing EGL and all that stuff.

The problems I foresee are more with compatibility on some things that rely heavily on the X infrastructure for some of their functionality... for example, audio plugins: VST plugins on Linux are currently hardcoded to use plain X for GUI display, and that's not likely to change very soon... also, IIRC, Xembed is used to display plugin GUIs for LV2 plugins... and it's not just a problem for audio plugins, it applies to other software with plugin architectures - what happens when the host software uses Wayland, but the plugin uses X...?

But I'm confident these issues will be solved eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            Gnome-shell frippery is far more competitive, but they get hammered by the constant breakage of gnome-shell extensions.
            The extension API is stable these days.

Comment

Working...
            X