Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Apple Implements LLVM JIT Back-End For WebKit JavaScript

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,375

    Default Apple Implements LLVM JIT Back-End For WebKit JavaScript

    Phoronix: Apple Implements LLVM JIT Back-End For WebKit JavaScript

    For speeding up the JavaScript performance within upstream WebKit, Apple developers have implemented a new just-in-time (JIT) back-end that's based upon LLVM...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4OTY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Faster Than Light (FTL) would have been a better name than Fourth Tier LLVM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh View Post
    Faster Than Light (FTL) would have been a better name than Fourth Tier LLVM.
    Suddenly, indie gamers.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kerala, India
    Posts
    11

    Question Blink?

    Is this thing likely to appear in Blink?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seedo View Post
    Is this thing likely to appear in Blink?
    That would be a no. This is JavaScriptCore, even when Chrome was using WebKit they were not using JavaScriptCore but V8. Also considering it only gives a speed-up of 20% in exchange for massive memory usage increase, bundling a full compiler, big increase in complexity and several manyears of work; FTL doesn't even look that great.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,995

    Default

    I hope it can be disabled configure-time then.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carewolf View Post
    Also considering it only gives a speed-up of 20% in exchange for massive memory usage increase, bundling a full compiler, big increase in complexity and several manyears of work; FTL doesn't even look that great.
    What are you basing any of that on?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carewolf View Post
    That would be a no. This is JavaScriptCore, even when Chrome was using WebKit they were not using JavaScriptCore but V8. Also considering it only gives a speed-up of 20% in exchange for massive memory usage increase, bundling a full compiler, big increase in complexity and several manyears of work; FTL doesn't even look that great.
    Did someone pee in your cereal this morning or are you an Internet Explorer developer?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Did someone pee in your cereal this morning or are you an Internet Explorer developer?
    I am a WebKit developer. Though my perception of FTL might be tainted by the fact that when it was merged in July 2013, it managed to break everything. JavaScriptCore was unusable for more than a month after the FTL merge even though FTL was not even enabled. Not really the best of starts and it lowered my expectations of FTL dramatically (plus demonstrated the cost of added complexity even when disabled).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottishduck View Post
    What are you basing any of that on?
    The webkit developers behind it are saying it will be a 33% increase. (Over the existing 3rd tier compiler). 40 times faster than interpreted vs. the 30 times faster they can already go.

    That really just brings them back on par with their competition, it's not like this is a huge breakthrough, at least in performance. Maybe now that they've got the framework done they'll be able to get some more benefits from it soon, though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •