Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesseract Is Looking Okay For A Small, Open-Source Game

Phoronix: Tesseract Is Looking Okay For A Small, Open-Source Game

Yesterday marked the first release of Tesseract, the open-source game forked from the Cube 2: Sauerbraten code-base two years ago and since then has just been worked on by a handful of open-source developers. After trying out this inaugural Tesseract version, it's quite a nice small game with decent OpenGL visual capabilities and okay textures with its in-game assets being comparable roughly to Xonotic or Unvanquished...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great it is working for you , tried yesterday tesseract but radeon segfaults somewhere at loading maps .

Comment

The screenshots remind me of F.E.A.R Combat, might give this a try. The problem I mostly have with these types of games is there is either no one to play against, or everyone in the server will annihilate me. Still fun to play though.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Great it is working for you , tried yesterday tesseract but radeon segfaults somewhere at loading maps .
        Starts after disabling Global Illumination But after a few second radeon usual thing .

Code:
        LLVM ERROR: ran out of registers during register allocation
        That means driver is in joke state .

Comment

I'm more interested to know if there are any good (or just any) open source OpenGL ES 2.0 compatible games for linux.

Comment

Tesseract is a really cool graphical showcase, their use of real time global illumination is insane (I don't know any 'current gen' AAA engines or titles that do this, since most bake evertyhing).
            I personally adres Tesseract as a engine showcase with great potential, instead of a game (which was/is not the main focus for them as far as i know)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Code:
              LLVM ERROR: ran out of registers during register allocation
              What a precious error message

Comment

OctaForge

You should check out OctaForge which builds upon tesseract making it even more awesome. It's pretty much only the engine though, there isn't any cool demo showing all of its features.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                  What a precious error message
                  Yep ;D, that message also means i must run glamor but not lib, no no i must run glamor as part of xserver accel method, together with some weird branches and tons of non released libs, etc... when i fill bug when something does not work and i bisect it i will meet all those young Linuses who thinks my code is the best ... And all that just to make sure it again does not work right, that is a main joke .

We have OpenGL 3.3 - what a bullshit . No gentlemans, you have nothing
                  Last edited by dungeon; 13 May 2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Well, radeonsi on my laptop takes some time to come along. With http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~tstella...spill-fixes-v3 it works. Sort of.

* For some reason shadows only work on high. When setting them to ultra this happens:
                    Code:
                    radeon: Failed to allocate a buffer:
                    radeon:    size      : 536870912 bytes
                    radeon:    alignment : 32768 bytes
                    radeon:    domains   : 4
                    failed allocating shadow atlas!
                    * Morphological AA does only work up to high, segfaults on ultra.
                    * MSAA seems to hang the whole machine.

I got this message in the log, maybe with MSAA, not sure?
                    Code:
                    radeon_gem_object_create:62 alloc size 512Mb bigger than 256Mb limit
                    * SSAO creates some strange grainy artifacts that seem to move with the camera. Not sure if they are intentional. See screenshot 2.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/1Jj9H

Comment

Working...
                    X