Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: NVIDIA Continues Beating Other Vendors On OpenGL Support

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,793

    Default NVIDIA Continues Beating Other Vendors On OpenGL Support

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Continues Beating Other Vendors On OpenGL Support

    Along a similar theme to Rich Geldreich's recent post on A Game Developer's Perspective On Linux Driver Quality, here are some OpenGL sample tests of OpenGL 3.2 through OpenGL 4.4 with many different graphics drivers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4ODk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    Inserting anecdote #14687.6:

    Just today I received a report that GL_POINTS are broken on Intel on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Mesa 9.2.1, no idea what Intel chip). Likely fixed in more recent mesa, but it was rather surprising that such basic functionality could have been broken in a mere year-old release.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391

    Default

    I always like to hear developers give their point of view. Better then having people on forums talk about Hearsay.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,402

    Default

    So, we've for a bit of a problem here.
    The valve guy said that the windows Intel folks didn't do a great job but, according to this, up to about 4.1, they did better than anyone eider in matching the spec.
    BTW, is the 3.2 spec particularly poor? I'm not sure why else none of the vendors passed all of the tests.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    So, we've for a bit of a problem here.
    The valve guy said that the windows Intel folks didn't do a great job but, according to this, up to about 4.1, they did better than anyone eider in matching the spec.
    I'm pretty sure he said they didnt do a good job with 4+ but were good with 3.x

    I definitely need to study more the Mesa implementation and I actually have a strong desire to build my own from source and maybe implement some stuff for fun if I manage to find the time.
    That sounds promising :-)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tarceri View Post
    I'm pretty sure he said they didnt do a good job with 4+ but were good with 3.x
    That's kind of my point. This latest graph shows Intel performing the best of any vendor up to 4.1. After than they plummet. What's interesting is that they look to be more compliant with 3.2, in particular than the others.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    That's kind of my point. This latest graph shows Intel performing the best of any vendor up to 4.1. After than they plummet. What's interesting is that they look to be more compliant with 3.2, in particular than the others.
    Well its probably wise not to rely to heavily on this graph while its interesting as far as I understand it the samples are far from a compliance suite. You would get a better picture running piglit and producing a graph from those results. Unfortunatly piglit doesnt run on Windows just yet but I believe this is one of the Google Summer of Code projects.

    Edit: Although running piglit is not perfect either since it lacks tests for many of the newer extensions. I guess my point is while the suite gives a small snapshot of the current situation it doesnt give a complete picture.
    Last edited by tarceri; 05-13-2014 at 07:24 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Australia
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I always like to hear developers give their point of view. Better then having people on forums talk about Hearsay.
    You mean better than keyboard warrior fanboys that spread their dribble like it's gospel. Yes me too.

    It's like car enthusiasts who speak crap about their car(s) and then there is this normal driver who totally kicks everyone... Same thing to me.

    Which is why I don't understand why Linus says "F you" to nvidia considering how well they deliver, albeit a binary blob.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b15hop View Post
    You mean better than keyboard warrior fanboys that spread their dribble like it's gospel. Yes me too.

    It's like car enthusiasts who speak crap about their car(s) and then there is this normal driver who totally kicks everyone... Same thing to me.

    Which is why I don't understand why Linus says "F you" to nvidia considering how well they deliver, albeit a binary blob.
    The "F you" was about their support for hybrid graphics switching rather than about the driver being a binary blob.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b15hop View Post
    Which is why I don't understand why Linus says "F you" to nvidia considering how well they deliver, albeit a binary blob.
    No documentation and a binary driver. That should be very obvious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •