RBDOOM-3-BFG Now Has Fast Soft Shadow Mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried running it? o.O

We ran it on average AMD GPU and fps went down x3.. I don't know why it's called "fast shadow mapping" :/ At the same time vanilla Doom 3 BFG runs at 70 fps on that laptop.

Comment

Anyone knows if this engine can run original Doom3 and Doom3 ROE content from the original CD's? *

- Gilboa
      * Given the fact the BFG contains them both, I assume the answer is yes; but you never know...
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
        Has anyone tried running it? o.O

We ran it on average AMD GPU and fps went down x3.. I don't know why it's called "fast shadow mapping" :/ At the same time vanilla Doom 3 BFG runs at 70 fps on that laptop.
        I got a lot feedback that it looks kick-ass and runs extremely well even with a resolution of 2560x1440. My implementation is superfast compared to other shadow mapping approaches.

Laptops aren't for gaming and shadow mapping is usually seen as not practical for a game like Doom 3 because it has so many shadow casting point lights like 50+. Even Killzone 3 has only 10+ according to its developer papers.
        Crysis gets away with the problem to render mainly a single sun light.

However it is 2014 and not 2004 and if you want a better graphics quality then buy a decent gaming rig. You can't have better graphics for free.

If it is all not an option for you then you can simply turn off soft shadows in the graphics options or by typing > r_useShadowMapping 0 in the console.

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
          I got a lot feedback that it looks kick-ass and runs extremely well even with a resolution of 2560x1440. My implementation is superfast compared to other shadow mapping approaches.
          I don't deny shadow mapping looks good, minus washed out shading (can you show screens with original Doom 3 shading and shadow maps?) The question is if shadow mapping now requires 128bit+ bus to run well.

Laptops aren't for gaming and shadow mapping is usually seen as not practical for a game like Doom 3 because it has so many shadow casting point lights like 50+. Even Killzone 3 has only 10+ according to its developer papers. Crysis gets away with the problem to render mainly a single sun light.
          Interesting. Didn't know Doom 3 has that many lights per scene :/

Comment

I tried running it, and it runs great on Arch Linux x64 (Phenom II 955 BE, 8 GB DDR3 and GTK 760 TI OC).
            Not noticing framedrops here so far. And of course it looks stunning! Great job and thank you very much

Nice to see that you added an option in the menus for it!

Comment

I've added support for loading custom content yesterday.

This is how RBDOOM-3-BFG looks with Wulfen/Monoxead textures

Comment

RBDOOM-3-BFG with Wulfen/Monoxead textures

Comment

I think your HL2 shading butchered depth of normal maps - it looks too flat. Is there any way to have old shading and new shading switchable via cvar ?

Comment

I made another RBDOOM-3-BFG 1.0.2 release that doubles the shadow mapping performance.

You can get it from https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/R....2-ATI-hotfix1

Comment

I made another RBDOOM-3-BFG 1.0.2 release that doubles the shadow mapping performance.

You can get it from https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/R....2-ATI-hotfix1
                      Can I compile it on Mac OS X?

Comment

Working...
                      X