Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: I Lost Interest With Intel's New, Fan-Less Bay Trail NUC

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,130

    Default I Lost Interest With Intel's New, Fan-Less Bay Trail NUC

    Phoronix: I Lost Interest With Intel's New, Fan-Less Bay Trail NUC

    Last month Intel announced a new, fan-less Intel NUC Kit, the DE3815TYKHE and it featured an Intel Atom E3815 SoC. While at first I immediately planned to buy one, now that they're available, I've changed my purchase order instead to another DN2820FYKH NUC Kit for Linux usage...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4Njk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    66

    Default

    the problem with the DN2820FYKH is availability
    i ordered one 2 month ago and still havent received it - intel said end of june is their next target date

    thats kinda fucked up if you ask me... but i think thats also the reason for the price of the atom version, the $138 DN2820FYKH is just not available (i found some shops selling it for 200-250 because they had a couple of ones in stock... at this price the i3 is more tempting)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    101

    Default

    You can always pick a Bay Trail-D integrated into a mini ITX. Those are fanless too The most interesting at the moment would be the strongest 10W TDP quad: Pentium J2900. It's not available on motherboards (while Celerons are available) at the moment but on premade PCs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    210

    Default

    and just under 100usd for the board + cpu.

    http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=MB-BAT_J29
    Last edited by bnolsen; 05-10-2014 at 05:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riklaunim View Post
    The most interesting at the moment would be the strongest 10W TDP quad: Pentium J2900. It's not available on motherboards (while Celerons are available) at the moment but on premade PCs.
    The Celeron J1900 is very similar and it's probably what I would go with for a mini-ITX system, since there are a lot of options for it: http://ark.intel.com/compare/78867,78868

    ECS would not be my first choice for a mobo brand...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Nice if it had a little more memory, say like 2gb.

    I can see people using these block/mini-computers to make their own racksack/daypack mobile computers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    462

    Default

    arrr memory isn't included

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Or for fun, something smaller than NUC: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...482924794.html Those are sometimes sold around $100 or less.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    and just under 100usd for the board + cpu.

    http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=MB-BAT_J29
    Then add a power supply and case, etc. It gets right back up there in price in a hurry.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by balouba View Post
    the problem with the DN2820FYKH is availability
    i ordered one 2 month ago and still havent received it - intel said end of june is their next target date

    thats kinda fucked up if you ask me... but i think thats also the reason for the price of the atom version, the $138 DN2820FYKH is just not available (i found some shops selling it for 200-250 because they had a couple of ones in stock... at this price the i3 is more tempting)
    I read on CPU World that Intel was discontinuing the 2820 and replacing it with a 2830 that included QuickSync video transcoding support.

    Perhaps Intel will update the 2820-based NUC to a 2830 CPU.

    http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/2...CESS=Read+more...

    http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/2...CESS=Read+more...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •