Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VESA Adds Adaptive-Sync To DisplayPort 1.2a Specification

Default VESA Adds Adaptive-Sync To DisplayPort 1.2a Specification

Phoronix: VESA Adds Adaptive-Sync To DisplayPort 1.2a Specification

The VESA association has added "Adaptive-Sync" to the DisplayPort 1.2a video interface specification. Adaptive-Sync is a vendor-neutral way of having a dynamic/adaptive refresh-rate and similar to NVIDIA's G-Sync...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4ODM

Default Standards

This is great news. It means that once DP 1.2a is out on monitors and GPUs that a lot of tearing will go away. I've had all kinds of videos and video games (mostly via Steam) tear quite a lot. On NVidia, AMD, and Intel GPUs. This being part of the standard means that any 1.2a hardware will have to support it, and that's great news for everyone.

So it begins. A new age of tearless gaming. What will NVIDIA be able to offer more with their G-SYNC compared to this?

Availability two years earlier than VESA?

Hold off buying that new monitor until the dust settles!

Quote Originally Posted by shaurz View Post
    Hold off buying that new monitor until the dust settles!
    +1. DisplayPort 1.3 is coming out soon anyways. It should have this + 8k bandwidth incorporated.

I actually don't like this feature. Smoothness of animation is achieved by a constant refresh rate. Adaptive refresh rate is going to cause jittery animation.

Quote Originally Posted by amehaye View Post
    I actually don't like this feature. Smoothness of animation is achieved by a constant refresh rate. Adaptive refresh rate is going to cause jittery animation.
    Apparently, it actually makes the motion so smooth that you can even read moving text: http://youtu.be/gbW9IwVGpX8?t=11m7s

I like having a 36- or 40-inch DisplayPort monitor, which is my preferred size for my eyesight. I can do 27" but I will be reading text 2" away from the screen with a bit odd squinting (27" iMac at an Apple store). With a 38.5" monitor, I can read text between 4 to 8 inches away from screen with no magnification at all.

It will be interesting to see what tear-free gaming is like with DisplayPort 1.2a regardless of any screen size.

(Typed in Nexus 7 en route to Tallahassee.)

Quote Originally Posted by clementl View Post
    Apparently, it actually makes the motion so smooth that you can even read moving text: http://youtu.be/gbW9IwVGpX8?t=11m7s
    In that case I'm all in for that feature. Bring it on