Microsoft ASP.NET vNext Is Open-Source, Runs On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    So now that it's fully 100% protected by the Apache License that the actual reasoning behind this idiocy fully comes out and is that you nuts just irrationally hate Microsoft and anything coming from it, no matter the license or grants. Meanwhile I'm sure you're all praises and joy for Apple and Sun Microsystems/Oracle...
    You lack imagination if you think this is all good and have no clue as to how there could possibly be any hidden gotchas. This is microsoft we're talking about here - do you really think they are trying to promote Linux now?

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
      You lack imagination if you think this is all good and have no clue as to how there could possibly be any hidden gotchas. This is microsoft we're talking about here - do you really think they are trying to promote Linux now?
      Yeah, it's Microsoft... so? Are they really any worse than Google, Apple, Oracle or any big tech company? Remember, they've been through several changes of leadership in past years, and slipped from their position of dominance... they're not the same old evil-empire that a lot of people still seem to think of them as.

In this case, it's not hard to see what they're doing. Their platform is a very distant third when it comes to mobile, and to change that, they need to convince developers to use their toolchain, to build apps with C# and the rest. They're not trying to promote Linux - but if they can get Linux developers using .NET to build apps for Windows Phone, it's an improvement for them. And they probably *don't* have a bunch of hidden gotchas, because they can't afford to antagonise people by using dirty tricks to lock them in.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that MS are currently in the position of "don't be evil" because being evil would only weaken their position further...
      Last edited by Delgarde; 12 May 2014, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
        You lack imagination. They are not trying to promote Linux, they are trying to promote .NET.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          well if C# was a properly compiled language with proper memory management it would be a pretty neat language for linux devs but as is currently implemented i doubt will gain any traction, well i guess for people that already have windows servers would be good to fast port some services to linux or mac though. Although never seen a .NET app for mac/IOS/Android so im not sure ho hot is it outside the windows realm in real world apps
          You should take a look at Vala, it's a well done C#

Comment

Originally posted by Desiderantes View Post
            well i prefer C/C++ always but i heard many good things about vala(would be nice to replace android java core) on the other hand if i were xamarin i would focus entirely on IOS/Android(maybe) cuz in linux C#is a no go from long long time ago and i doubt that will ever change specially since QT5 has gotten really really good with C++ and QML lately

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              they're not the same old evil-empire that a lot of people still seem to think of them as.

Comment

Originally posted by Desiderantes View Post
                Not really. It's not C# and there are more differences than similarities. The similarities mostly stop at the syntax level.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  citation needed
                  Well, just look at the numbers. They still dominate the desktop, but they're slipping - due to the disaster that is Windows 8, very little of their customer base is using the latest version of Windows; most of those migrating off the now-dead XP are going to 7. And while WP8 is more successful than it's predecessors, they're still struggling in mobile. It's a company in a completely different position from that which saw them dominating the industry for so long.

Really, when it comes to companies that worry me, they've slipped a long way down the list... behind Oracle, behind Google, behind Apple...

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                    Apache License doesn't mean free of patents.
                    Clearly you've got no clue what the Apache license actually says but what should I expect from someone spreading Sun Microsystem's baseless FUD? Intelligence? Reading Comprehension? Understanding of how the patent situation actually stands with an entity that wants you to use it's software? I guess none of the above.

From the Apache License:
                    3. Grant of Patent License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable (except as stated in this section) patent license to make, have made, use, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise transfer the Work, where such license applies only to those patent claims licensable by such Contributor that are necessarily infringed by their Contribution(s) alone or by combination of their Contribution(s) with the Work to which such Contribution(s) was submitted. If You institute patent litigation against any entity (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that the Work or a Contribution incorporated within the Work constitutes direct or contributory patent infringement, then any patent licenses granted to You under this License for that Work shall terminate as of the date such litigation is filed.
                    In other words unless you try to sue Microsoft, yes it does. Now go cry to Oracle and Sun Microsystems who actually both sued over Java, as opposed to Microsoft who has done no suits involving .NET,

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      Clearly you've got no clue what the Apache license actually says but what should I expect from someone spreading Sun Microsystem's baseless FUD? Intelligence? Reading Comprehension? Understanding of how the patent situation actually stands with an entity that wants you to use it's software? I guess none of the above.

From the Apache License:

In other words unless you try to sue Microsoft, yes it does. Now go cry to Oracle and Sun Microsystems who actually both sued over Java, as opposed to Microsoft who has done no suits involving .NET,
                      I'm not sure why you come across as being so confrontational about this, but there are plenty of good reasons to be wary of anything coming out of MSHQ. I'll freely grant that they've made some missteps lately that weakened their position in the market - but they're still plenty strong. And it was they, not we, who practically invented the phrase "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt". Moreover, I can, at your request, give you link upon link of the most evil of proclamations coming from Redmond. They're not pretty, but I didn't make 'em up.

What's going on now isn't blind hatred of the company, but the result of a LOT of ill-will they've cultivated throughout the years. Microsoft is a dog with a dubious history of biting. Now they're playing nice, or at least it seems so. But there are those who don't trust them. And now we're getting to the meat of my issue with your position.

You claim that "Microsoft haters" are just ripping the poor company to bits for No Good Reason. (This next thing is a bit of an extreme example, but bear with me, as I believe it illustrates my point in a way I think you will readily understand.) I ask, would you trust your rapist? He violated you in public and made serious threats against you and your family in the process (not to mention giving you an extended hospital stay), but he's Born Again now and he's found Jesus and everything and he's really sorry for what the "old him" did. Oh, and he did just rough a guy up outside your house because he owed him money, but it wasn't you or anybody you know, so it's okay. You're safe. So are you going to invite him into your home for dinner and board games? I think the only reasonable answer is "no."

My point here is that Microsoft wrote checks against their good will that they're now having to cash. They were flagrant, brutal, and intentionally damaging to Linux and OSS in general. They claim ownership (as in present tense), of parts of Linux and Android and are collecting "royalties" through strong-arm tactics without even going to court - they're doing that today. Please understand that we don't mistrust them because they're Microsoft, we distrust them because of what they've done. Please don't rant and rave against someone not loving your favorite company, person, or thing by claiming they didn't come to their position honestly. Doing so makes you sound unintelligent.

On a different and personal note, I'm not a fan of Oracle or Apple either. I use CUPS because it's the only game in town of which I'm aware, and Oracle doesn't have a single byte of their code on my machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X