Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wattOS R8 Is Now Based On Debian Rather Than Ubuntu

Phoronix: wattOS R8 Is Now Based On Debian Rather Than Ubuntu

For five years the wattOS Linux distribution has been around as being an energy-efficient distribution powered at its core by Ubuntu, but with their new release they have shifted to being powered by Debian...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: wattOS R8 Is Now Based On Debian Rather Than Ubuntu

For five years the wattOS Linux distribution has been around as being an energy-efficient distribution powered at its core by Ubuntu, but with their new release they have shifted to being powered by Debian...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4NzU
    Alpine Linux is the most energy-efficient distribution. You can benchmark it and compare with others.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
      Alpine Linux is the most energy-efficient distribution. You can benchmark it and compare with others.
      http://alpinelinux.org/
      What about for an ARM machine?

Comment

This is starting to be a recurring theme. Leaving Ubuntu for Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          Not surprising, I hate Ubuntu, and not because it's the popular thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Which I don't understand why because the Ubuntu base is seriously the easiest and best base you can base your distro off of.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
              Which I don't understand why because the Ubuntu base is seriously the easiest and best base you can base your distro off of.
              Perhaps because it tends to break less between releases compared to ubuntu and is building a distro based on debian is quite easy as well.

I'm wondering if wattOS R8 has any advantage in term of power consumption compared to other lightweight distros, a few years ago Michael tested wattOS R4 against ubuntu 11.04 (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ttos_vs_ubuntu) and there wasn't really any advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
                Would you like to elaborate what exactly is better or easier in Ubuntu compared to Debian when it comes to basing your distro on it?

Comment

Originally posted by fedesog View Post
                  Perhaps because it tends to break less between releases compared to ubuntu and is building a distro based on debian is quite easy as well.
                  Not really. Ubuntu and Debian are very similar, most of the packages are the same. Upgrade breakage is usually caused by apt-get and third party repositories being used, causing dependency problems. I guess you could argue that there are fewer third party repositories supporting Debian so it happens less often, but if Debian had hundreds of PPAs it would be the same. Other most common breakage is Xorg and GPU drivers, and that affects Debian and Ubuntu the same, though there are more Ubuntu desktop users so you do see more reports there. I'm running Jessie - the stable release of Debian wouldn't even boot on my laptop, despite the laptop being 1.5 years old now (problem, unsurprisingly, GPU drivers). Ubuntu at least put some effort into hardware enablement, even 12.04 works.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    Would you like to elaborate what exactly is better or easier in Ubuntu compared to Debian when it comes to basing your distro on it?
                    Debian don't do hardware enablement for the stable release, so if you want to base off a stable release and have it work on modern hardware you have to do it yourself and ship a different kernel and xorg etc. (like Valve do for Steam OS). Ubuntu based distributions don't have to do that, they can base off an LTS and be confident it will work on new hardware.

Try installing Ubuntu LTS vs Debian stable on a recent laptop with HiDPI, modern GPU, Broadcom WiFi etc. Neither is a great experience, but Ubuntu is a bit better. And since I know that someone will mention Jessie here - did you know that the installer, right now, does not support touchpads? And that chromium doesn't install? Or that the Gnome display settings does not work (I literally can't configure a monitor without Xrandr). Debian is great but it can be a bit of work sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                    X