Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI GLAMOR 2D Performance vs. Catalyst

Phoronix: RadeonSI GLAMOR 2D Performance vs. Catalyst

While the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver continues making much headway as the modern open-source AMD Gallium3D Linux graphics driver along with the GLAMOR library it depends upon for 2D acceleration, the 2D performance of the Linux desktop is still quite poor compared to the proprietary Catalyst driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't it possible to use EXA for 2D acceleration? Very recently, kwin's compositor failed and the only way for me to get it to work was to get rid of EXA and force enable GLAMOR. My performance has taken a huge hit and some windows get visually glitchy because of it. This happened in the latest update I got (I'm using Arch).

Comment

This is the one saving grace of having a laptop with switchable graphics (enduro): The vast bulk of the 2D work (ie, desktop) is handled by the Intel driver, so I haven't really run into much of this.

I'd be curious to see how improved 2D rendering would effect 3D applications

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Isn't it possible to use EXA for 2D acceleration?
        I'm pretty sure radeonsi only supports GLAMOR for 2D: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTEzNjk

Comment

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

suse 13.1 kde+ radeon 7790+ gtk2-oxygen

Comment

Hello, since in the end the final use of these drivers is for recreational purposes, and the increased use is through wine, you might consider doing some leaked benchmarks using wine + wine + wow and gw2? I think the only way to bring new people to linux is through the experience of the game, and these two games now holding a slice of the market, we are talking about 15/17 million users, increase efforts to improve Codest securities and also take away the 1% is not a small thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
              http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SO-1401178PL34

suse 13.1 kde+ radeon 7790+ gtk2-oxygen
              interesting - totally different numbers and quite some wins over catalyst. I am running suse 13.1 too. It defaults mesa 9.3 and kernel 3.11. So Michaels git stuff regressed quite a bit in some 2d workloads...

Comment

Bad timing. A patch that improves performance of line drawing hugely is just being reviewed on the glamor mailing list...

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  Bad timing. A patch that improves performance of line drawing hugely is just being reviewed on the glamor mailing list...
                  Great, but this still means it won't make it into 14.04, and even Arch won't see it until at least Spring. IE, March 2014. At the earliest. Meanwhile, the SI gpus have been shipping since January 2012.

I'm just worried by the time the driver works well enough for someone who wants to use Mesa, AMD won't be selling cards of this architecture anymore. It is like how, right now, if you want a good AMD card on Mesa under Linux, you need to go search ebay for a 6000 series.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                    interesting - totally different numbers and quite some wins over catalyst. I am running suse 13.1 too. It defaults mesa 9.3 and kernel 3.11. So Michaels git stuff regressed quite a bit in some 2d workloads...
                    He's using those repository (created by him!) to get the latest mesa/llvm from git, and the latest kernel rc.
                    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.1/
                    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.1/

Comment

Working...
                    X