Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 195 Brings "Cool New Features"

Phoronix: Systemd 195 Brings "Cool New Features"

Lennart Poettering announced the release of systemd 195 on Monday night. This newest release of systemd brings "a non-trivial amount of cool new features."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One thing i dislike that systemd brings are binary log files.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
      One thing i dislike that systemd brings are binary log files.
      There's no reason you can't keep using syslog-ng/rsyslog with systemd, and the distribution can make it work out-of-the-box (as syslog-ng does with systemd on Arch).

The journal provides structured logging (fields of data, with text or binary data like a network packet), indexed by fields, and with features like inline compression. Other loggers have been moving towards structured logging too for quite a while, rsyslog being one of the leaders (binary formats too). It's true that journald could have used a pre-existing format like sqlite3, but it wouldn't have been as specialized for the use case. The journal file format is documented on fd.o, and there's a backwards compatibility guarantee. You can also easily export the contents as text, if you desire.

The journal is simply another choice, that brings a different set of tradeoffs to the table.
      Last edited by strcat; 23 October 2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Lennart Poettering the "Two-faced lying weasel" as Linus Torvalds calls him.

Fuck him and SystemD !!!

Comment

Haha, I hadn't seen that

Link for the curious:

Comment

Kay Sievers was also the udev maintainer before it was moved into the same repository as systemd to share code, and this problem (the 30 second timeout issue) predates that. The followup conversation between Kay and Linus is right there: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/263.
            Last edited by strcat; 23 October 2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
              Lennart Poettering the "Two-faced lying weasel" as Linus Torvalds calls him. --- Fuck him and SystemD !!!
              Linus has also said that he likes many things about systemd, thinks it's interesting and shows a lot of promise. Source.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Haha, I hadn't seen that

Link for the curious:
                https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/303
                fix already applyed on in Arch systemd.

Comment

Probably Lennart was not the one to blame here since it wasn't his fault that Kay broke udev.

Comment

I read those lkml links and I certainly agree with Linus on the "don't break things" philosophy. Kay seems to have a nilly-willy attitude about it - "oh it's broken, oh we'll fix it sometime... don't fuss guys".

Comment

Working...
                    X