Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Open-Source S.I. Botched, Hope For The Future

Phoronix: AMD Open-Source S.I. Botched, Hope For The Future

We're now going into eight months since the AMD Radeon HD 7000 series "Southern Islands" graphics cards first launched. In that time the Catalyst Linux support has been stable and fine, but the open-source driver support is still unusable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand why AMD always does their best to look like idiots. This is what makes the difference between them and INTEL or NVIDIA.
    Last edited by bulletxt; 30 July 2012, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      I don't understand why AMD always does their best to look like idiots. This is what makes the difference between them and INTEL or NVIDIA.
      Yeah, right. NV is completely ignoring open source GPU support. Non existing drivers avoid news about some missing or lackluster features.
      Great logic you applied there.

Comment

Originally posted by dhewg View Post
        Yeah, right. NV is completely ignoring open source GPU support. Non existing drivers avoid news about some missing or lackluster features.
        Great logic you applied there.
        I did not say "A" is better than "B". I said "A" generally tends to behave in a way that they look idiots and not professional when compared against "B" or "C". Look at it from an economical/business point of view. AMD brand looses points when they do such shit. And do you know how important is brand? Think about it, leave the OSS vs blob fight for the geeks.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
          I did not say "A" is better than "B". I said "A" generally tends to behave in a way that they look idiots and not professional when compared against "B" or "C". Look at it from an economical/business point of view. AMD brand looses points when they do such shit. And do you know how important is brand? Think about it, leave the OSS vs blob fight for the geeks.
          Eh? Neither did I claim that you said A is better than B. My argument about your logic still stands.
          Because bridgman posts here and admits that things didn't work out as planned makes them idiots? I'd call that honest.

Since that article is about the open source radeon stack, your "OSS vs blob" statement makes even less sense.

Comment

It's not that AMD is doing a bad job. It's just that Michael seems to like the pageviews he's getting from negative headlines.

The OS drivers are not "botched", they're "right on track, but not finished yet". Previous generations had to wait half a year or longer, too. While that delay has been shortened with each successive generation, it's not surprising that the architectural HW changes would cause additional delays this time.

In fact, AMD has been very clear about this upfront. They said that they started on OSS work earlier, but that the headstart would likely be eaten up by the additional work required. They said so before HD7xxx-hardware could be bought.

So if any customer is unsatisfied that OSS support is taking this long, it's the customer's fault for expecting a feature earlier than it was promised. AMD has been very honest with that they will do, what they try to do and what they can't do, and all they're getting for it is repeated rants that those "will do"s don't include a pony.

The worst part is that Michael has to know all this. We know he's reading all of bridgman's posts because he likes to copy/paste them for free articles like this one. Yet he's still continuing to publish articles that label the current state of the OSS drivers as a failure on AMD's part, despite the project being roughly inside the initial estimates.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              In that time the Catalyst Linux support has been stable and fine
              I LOL'ed so hard when I read this.

Comment

Not many community developers are interested in hacking on Radeon GPU power management code, unfortunately.
                So hire them. If you pay them I'm sure they will have more interest. More easy to saying then doing, but that's the point in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  I LOL'ed so hard when I read this.
                  Yeah?

Originally posted by phoronix
                  In that time the Catalyst Linux support has been stable and fine
                  Meanwhile on my Notebook (with 7970M) :

Originally posted by fglrx
                  No supported adapters detected
                  I don't find that funny

Comment

It's funny... I was expecting an news post more like "Open source SI fixes pushed, glxgears now runs, open source OpenCL work proceeding on schedule". Oh well...
                    Last edited by bridgman; 30 July 2012, 11:19 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X