Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD R600g Still Tackling Hierarchical Z

Phoronix: AMD R600g Still Tackling Hierarchical Z

While patches have been around for more than one year to support Hierarchical Z on the ATI/AMD R600 open-source driver, the Gallium3D support still hasn't been merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We just finished sorting out several issues related to hiz. Kernel 3.5 should see a nice boost in performance on evergreen and NI with the backendmap fixes. Jerome just sorted out the last remaining hiz issues on evergreen so the hiz code should be merged soon. I'd be happy to have more people step up to help finish up or implement other features. Patches welcomed.

Comment

PCI Express 2.0 support

Is there somewhere that is tracking the issues with turning on PCI Express 2.0 support?

I haven't noticed any issues on a ATI RV670 [Radeon HD 3870].

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        We just finished sorting out several issues related to hiz. Kernel 3.5 should see a nice boost in performance on evergreen and NI with the backendmap fixes. Jerome just sorted out the last remaining hiz issues on evergreen so the hiz code should be merged soon. I'd be happy to have more people step up to help finish up or implement other features. Patches welcomed.
        This is one of the rare times i want to complain to opensource devs, but i can't help it. While you have are gratitude for your work, there are some things that shouldn't be happening.

Why HD2000-4000 are second rate citizens? First AMD drops support in Catalyst for them. And while it would make sense to have a focused opensource driver for these generations to provide legacy support, it seems that the opensource driver makes a priority Evergreen and above generations too... A while ago it was the news that Evergreen would have official OpenGl 3.0 support on by default, earlier than the older generations(?), and now from what agd5f says:

a) Either evergreen will have support for hiz first

b) Or hiz support for hd2000-4000 was fine but there were issues on Evergreen so they decided to hold it back...

Either way, it is a bad attitude towards older generation users. Why Evergreen and newer are a priority, when they can use the Catalyst and are much newer chips? Seriously, i own a 3870 and it is about 2 year older than the Evergreen family. When i see that Evergreen matures to OpenGL 3.0 first or gets Hyper-Z(a really important feature) first (not to mention other performance improvements etc) i feel cheated. It is like AMD showing us older generation users to buy newer cards. Well, if that is what they want, it would be better to just ask for it, not this way... And why upgrade? My 3870 does its job perfectly...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          This is one of the rare times i want to complain to opensource devs, but i can't help it. While you have are gratitude for your work, there are some things that shouldn't be happening.

Why HD2000-4000 are second rate citizens? First AMD drops support in Catalyst for them. And while it would make sense to have a focused opensource driver for these generations to provide legacy support, it seems that the opensource driver makes a priority Evergreen and above generations too... A while ago it was the news that Evergreen would have official OpenGl 3.0 support on by default, earlier than the older generations(?), and now from what agd5f says:

a) Either evergreen will have support for hiz first

b) Or hiz support for hd2000-4000 was fine but there were issues on Evergreen so they decided to hold it back...

Either way, it is a bad attitude towards older generation users. Why Evergreen and newer are a priority, when they can use the Catalyst and are much newer chips? Seriously, i own a 3870 and it is about 2 year older than the Evergreen family. When i see that Evergreen matures to OpenGL 3.0 first or gets Hyper-Z(a really important feature) first (not to mention other performance improvements etc) i feel cheated. It is like AMD showing us older generation users to buy newer cards. Well, if that is what they want, it would be better to just ask for it, not this way... And why upgrade? My 3870 does its job perfectly...

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            yes right... because amd will drop the catalyst for the evergreen chips in 1-2 years then we should be happy about a good opensource driver.

but he only cares about his old hardware but i'm still sure HIZ will come to hd2000-hd4000 hardware to
            "really good news about improvements coming to the open source driver"

"you are betraying me, why don't you delay all the other improvements that are going on and fix my personal hardware first"

WTF...

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
              Is there somewhere that is tracking the issues with turning on PCI Express 2.0 support?

I haven't noticed any issues on a ATI RV670 [Radeon HD 3870].
              I believe I have read that they lack code to disable it when the chipset doesn't support it so it isn't enabled by default.

Comment

@TemplarGr: you didn't even look at the patch, did you ? It says:
                v3 fix random issue on r6xx/r7xx

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I should create one similar for DOUBLE FANBOI, it suits you...

Now, where do you disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    "really good news about improvements coming to the open source driver"

"you are betraying me, why don't you delay all the other improvements that are going on and fix my personal hardware first"

WTF...
                    I am sorry if you are lacking the ability to understand that my hardware is 2 years older, and since it is only supported from the radeon driver from now on, it SHOULD be a priority, at least for AMD employees working on it... It is ok if for you this is ok, but for me, this kind of "attention" from AMD warrants an NVIDIA purchace next time...

Comment

Working...
                    X