Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving The Linux Kernel's Memory Performance

Phoronix: Improving The Linux Kernel's Memory Performance

Over the past few days there's been an active discussion on the Linux kernel mailing list surrounding the memory copy (the memcpy function to copy blocks of memory) performance within the kernel. In particular, an application vendor claims to have boosted their application (a video recorder) performance by 12% when implementing an "optimized" memory copy function that takes advantage of SSE3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very interesting

Very interesting!
    Thank you!

Comment

It's indeed pretty interesting.
      But if I use a prebuilt generic x86_64 kernel provided by my distro, is there a way the kernel could autodetect if my CPU has support for SSE3 at runtime, or do I have to recompile the kernel ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dylar View Post
        But if I use a prebuilt generic x86_64 kernel provided by my distro, is there a way the kernel could autodetect if my CPU has support for SSE3 at runtime, or do I have to recompile the kernel ?
        Most likely, it's already doing it. Most likely your kernel already has support for SSE3, etc. Programs that are designed to take advantage of SSE3 will do so.
        Before, memcopy() function did magix of copying stuff, however, if I understood article correct, they want to use SSE3 for copying something big, which will give rather nice boost.

But i am no programmer unfortunately.

Comment

to check it:

Originally posted by Dylar View Post
          cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep sse3

It's sort weird, but i dont seem to have SSE3 on my AMD quad core, however, I think extension was there, just for licensing matters it was called something else. I wonder what is SSE4A and if it absorbs SSE3 into itself?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep sse3

It's sort weird, but i dont seem to have SSE3 on my AMD quad core, however, I think extension was there, just for licensing matters it was called something else. I wonder what is SSE4A and if it absorbs SSE3 into itself?
            It's not called "sse3" in /proc/cpuinfo. I believe the kernel calls it "pni" for "Prescott New Instructions" which was the Intel code name.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
              It's not called "sse3" in /proc/cpuinfo. I believe the kernel calls it "pni" for "Prescott New Instructions" which was the Intel code name.
              pni - checked!

Is it still called PNI on Intel CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                pni - checked!

Is it still called PNI on Intel CPU?
                It is on my Core i7.

Comment

I did something like this in my kernel and the performance was really impressive.
                  At the time, I used CPUID to know if the CPU supported MMX or SSE or SSE2 and set malloc to use what was supported.

I hadn't any graphics driver, so drawing operations were really slow.
                  Without SSE2 I couldn't do any acceptable graphic operation, instead with SSE2 I could draw windows and move them flawlessy.

Probably this was due to the fact that there were only few threads and the data to move was consistent (1280 x 1024 x 4 bytes).

Comment

Originally posted by abral View Post
                    I did something like this in my kernel and the performance was really impressive.
                    At the time, I used CPUID to know if the CPU supported MMX or SSE or SSE2 and set malloc to use what was supported.

I hadn't any graphics driver, so drawing operations were really slow.
                    Without SSE2 I couldn't do any acceptable graphic operation, instead with SSE2 I could draw windows and move them flawlessy.

Probably this was due to the fact that there were only few threads and the data to move was consistent (1280 x 1024 x 4 bytes).
                    You did exactly what on your kernel? Replaced x86 memcopy() implementation with SSE one?

Comment

Working...
                    X