Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Is Buying Out Skype

Phoronix: Microsoft Is Buying Out Skype

Microsoft is buying out Skype, it's been confirmed, at a price of over $8 billion USD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really wished Google would get the deal, at least then things could improve with Skype and the it might have opened up.

What happens instead is Skype is slowly dying now with Microsoft ruining it surely.

Comment

Someone explain to me again why there isn't already a FOSS application like Skype that uses a distributed/peer-to-peer setup already. A simple GUI, SPEEX, and a federated peering protocol. Where is it?

Comment

Most likely MS wanted a real cross-plattform solution as they only support Win right now. But i don't know how much they like the Linux variant, the mobile versions are very important however for a good market share.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          Someone explain to me again why there isn't already a FOSS application like Skype that uses a distributed/peer-to-peer setup already. A simple GUI, SPEEX, and a federated peering protocol. Where is it?
          because noone cares enough probably

we have xmpp voice/video and is supported also on Gtalk/Android phones (don't know how well this plays with others ie Gtalk to Jabber)

Comment

isnt it a threat having MS in control over a commonly used P2P network? i dont know whether to trust Google more... but still i dont like the idea of my data in the hands of MS.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              because noone cares enough probably

we have xmpp voice/video and is supported also on Gtalk/Android phones (don't know how well this plays with others ie Gtalk to Jabber)

GNU Free Call...

Will success or another fail like Gnash? Who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                http://planet.gnu.org/gnutelephony/

GNU Free Call...

Will success or another fail like Gnash? Who knows...

in order for something to succeed it not only needs to be made -and work flawlessly- but to be sold also.

as long as there is no "advertisement" of projects like that and adoption from distros its bound to fail.

for example i haven't seen canonical saying "hey look you can videochat with your friend who has a Gtalk front camera phone or has gtalk on his mac" or "Hey we have this new telephony solution that will do this and that"

also there is this big obstacle of "i use what i know" that plagues humans n general

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  in order for something to succeed it not only needs to be made -and work flawlessly- but to be sold also.

as long as there is no "advertisement" of projects like that and adoption from distros its bound to fail.

for example i haven't seen canonical saying "hey look you can videochat with your friend who has a Gtalk front camera phone or has gtalk on his mac" or "Hey we have this new telephony solution that will do this and that"

also there is this big obstacle of "i use what i know" that plagues humans n general
                  Uhhh, "sell" is something FSF sometimes may fail. They are too philosophical sometimes and lack of pragmatic power in certain projects. I hope this changes, but they are a too big entity so adapting is slower than specialized ones.

There's also this...
                  Learn more about Jitsi, a free open-source video conferencing software for web & mobile. Make a call, launch on your own servers, integrate into your app, and more.

Comment

There's also the phone. Also known as telephone.

Comment

Working...
                    X