Ubuntu 9.04 & Catalyst 9.7 (fglrx)
Running Ubunty 9.04 Jaunty.
I've been a long supporter of ATI, for over 10 years now in fact. Been hoping for a while now for the ATI+Linux scene to get better. I was happy for the past 6 months since the open source radeon driver became very stable with good 3D support for legacy cards. I had a Radeon X1950 Pro, dual monitors, and compiz effects enabled. I still couldn't play most games in linux, but rebooting into windows for this was temporarily acceptable for me.
Well. After, unfortunately, waiting for 2 years now for the open source Radeon drivers to support OpenGL2, I decided to be a nice ATI customer and purchase a new card. I've purchased a shiny new ATI Radeon HD 4870 (RV770).
Since the purpose of this purchase was to achieve "official linux support" from ATI again, I went straight to the Catalyst 9.7 drivers for fglrx. I followed the instructions at http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide. The amdcccle didn't recognize that I had two monitors. It was either "clone", or some terrible form of Big Desktop (left monitor 1680x1050, right monitor 640x480). Any sort of tweaking to try for proper "Big Desktop" support often resulted in X crashing. Sad face; -- so much for an upgrade...
For now, I'm using tormodvolden's edge radeonhd drivers (http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...e_Edge_Drivers). At least they're stable, and support dual monitor "big desktop" mode. Unfortunately, I've lost support for 2D acceleration (compiz).
Can anyone please suggest how I can get my brand new ATI card working with Linux using the proprietary drivers?
In summary, I'm expecting the following to work:
* fglrx proprietary driver -- stable
* dual monitors (big desktop) mode (1680x1050 & 1680x1050)
* 2D & 3D hardware acceleration
* OpenGLx support for playing the latest native Linux 3D games, and at least the ability to "TRY" to play games in WINE (wine is beyond the scope of things here though, I realize this).
My Hardware & Software versions:
* 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV770 [Radeon HD 4870]
* Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty (2.6.28-14-server)
* xserver-xorg 1:7.4~5ubuntu18 the X.Org X server
Thanks so much!
Looking forward to a response :)
Can anyone help?