Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random X freeze with latest ati driver

system: ubuntu 8.10
    ati driver (opensource): compiled from git (latest version)
    device: ati radeon mobility 9700

xorg.conf

Driver "ati"
    Option "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    Option "DynamicClocks" "true"
    Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"
    Option "DMAForXv" "true"
    Option "AGPMode" "4"
    Option "ColorTiling" "true"
    Option "AccelDFS" "true"
    Option "EXAVSync" "true"

when i see a video or i'm using firefox or in other situation, with and without compiz, X freeze, cpu run at 100% and i must force shutdown from power button. how can i fix this problem?

does removing the EXAVSync option help?

Comment

no, same error....i added recently EXAVSync in my xorg.conf

Comment

I've got the same problem. I am using the radeon driver (from the ubuntu repositories) since fglrx broke compatibility with my Mobility Radeon 9700 three months ago. But I had "MigrationHeuristics" set to "Greedy" all the time. After reading a bit in your blog, I updated to the latest snapshot (from launchpad.net/~tormodvolden), commented out the "MigrationHeuristics" setting and added EXAVSync to my xorg.conf.

Soon,I experienced the first lockups. Mostly when scrolling in Firefox, but also in other situations. When it happens, I cannot switch to the console, ssh into my system from another computer or even use the Magic-SysRq-Keys.

First, I disabled the EXAVSync settings, than I reverted back to radeon from ubuntu. Didn't help. Only re-inserting the "MigrationHeuristics" setting did. As I understand it, that effectivly disables any acceleration.

Comment

EDIT:
          with option migrationheuristic (greedy), freeze appears with gnome mplayer, with vlc no problem

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            does removing the EXAVSync option help?
            With me it does help. My problem is, that after a while, on a random moment, everything freezes except for the mouse. Mouse is allowed to move slowly and jerky, while keyboard and the rest of gnome is completely frozen.
            No information in logs, however, so not sure how to file a bug report.
            I have an RV515 (Gigabyte X1300PRO).

Comment

Originally posted by aljaz View Post
              With me it does help. My problem is, that after a while, on a random moment, everything freezes except for the mouse. Mouse is allowed to move slowly and jerky, while keyboard and the rest of gnome is completely frozen.
              I had this problem some time ago, with the OSS driver *and* fglrx. The solution was to provide better cooling to the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormking View Post
                I had this problem some time ago, with the OSS driver *and* fglrx. The solution was to provide better cooling to the GPU.
                Hmmm. This happened on three different machines (one desktop and two HP laptops) so I don't think it's a cooling problem.

Comment

I can confirm the exact same issue with a 9600Pro (Ubuntu 8.10 x86, vanilla "ati" driver and xorg settings.)

I will test with fglrx and see if the issue persists.

Comment

I've been having similar problems, myself. This occurs with both 6.9.0 and the new release candidate driver. This is with Xserver 1.5.3 and a radeon x850.

In particular, the problem seems to be provoked by mozilla applications - with firefox 2, it would fairly reliably crash within a few minutes of use, though I haven't noticed the same problem in the last few days (since I upgraded to firefox 3). Thunderbird 2, however, does still cause this issue.

When it happens, the mouse still moves (albeit jerkily - updated ~3Hz), but no other response to any other input device. The CPU usually gets pegged at 100% (from what I can tell - the CPU usage generally ceases updating about five seconds after going into this state).

Comment

Working...
                    X