Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5 Has Been Officially Released

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5 Has Been Officially Released

As a follow-up to the story from earlier about KDE Frameworks 5 being due out, the official release of KF5 ended up taking place this afternoon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You meant fedora 21 of course.

Comment

The problem with those DEs is that they are so complicated and have many bugs.
      After that many years with the kde sc 4, I cannot get a fully functional network manager for example(it refuses to interface with my intel card), while other managers, from xfce work flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
        After that many years with the kde sc 4, I cannot get a fully functional network manager for example(it refuses to interface with my intel card), while other managers, from xfce work flawlessly.
        stop right there!
        Did you see any announcement of a desktop release? Of workspaces? of _anything_ graphical that you can use as a desktop?

No!

This is the frameworks 5 release. This in turn is used to create a desktop which we now call Plasma 5 and that is about to be released somewhere late this month if i'm correct.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
          stop right there!
          Did you see any announcement of a desktop release? Of workspaces? of _anything_ graphical that you can use as a desktop?

No!

This is the frameworks 5 release. This in turn is used to create a desktop which we now call Plasma 5 and that is about to be released somewhere late this month if i'm correct.
          there is little effort in making everything work,
          but there so much effort in polishing the visuals, getting fancy effects and changing the whole structure of the DE.

It seems to me that both popular DE care more about the looks and less about the functionality.

For me, the article says, here's a different way to project your bugs.

and btw the DE will be released next week.

Comment

Don't quite know why you're complaining, KDE 4.x has been working very well for me (since around 4.7). If you don't count KMail (which has been a bit of a mess, but still the only client offering all the features I use).

Plasma 5 ( = plasma 2 as I understand it) I am looking forward to for true HiDPI support.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
              stop right there!

No!

It's Digia's fault for coming up with PR names (which are always shitty) instead of mnemonic ones, so don't blame the guy, blame the idiots taking naming decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
                Don't quite know why you're complaining, KDE 4.x has been working very well for me (since around 4.7). If you don't count KMail (which has been a bit of a mess, but still the only client offering all the features I use).

Plasma 5 ( = plasma 2 as I understand it) I am looking forward to for true HiDPI support.
                don't forget also that kvpnc requires special treatment in order to work. if you don't know what you are doing, then you get the nice crash window, without any proper info.
                bluetooth and wifi do not work with the network manager, although the drivers work perfectly, and there is no problem when setting everything up in the terminal by hand. the network manager is also a little bit tricky with the openvpn plugin.

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                It's Digia's fault for coming up with PR names (which are always shitty) instead of mnemonic ones, so don't blame the guy, blame the idiots taking naming decisions.
                actually it's the same thing, the new buttons come always with a new DE version, that's what they've been always doing.
                I don't know if this is digia's/nokia's/trolltech's way to get the people to fix their bugs and then sell the stable version,of the framework, to the companies.

Comment

there is little effort in making everything work,
                  but there so much effort in polishing the visuals, getting fancy effects and changing the whole structure of the DE.
                  And there is precisely the problem. Before the visual group was announced, people were complaining about how KDE was wasting too much time fixing bugs rather than on polishing the UI. Now that they are polishing the UI, people complain that they are not spending enough time fixing bugs. It doesn't matter what approach KDE developers take, someone will criticize them for not focusing on some particular issue.

That, of course, completely misses the fact that the visual design group is made up primarily of non-coders. They wouldn't be fixing bugs if they weren't in the visual design group, they would simply not be participating at all. The whole point of the visual design group is to organize non-coders with design experience.

And your post completely ignores all the effort and changes with frameworks 5 that have gone into finding, detecting, fixing, and preventing bugs. Changing the structure of the libraries was essential to accomplish that.

Comment

The network manager is the same regardless of the desktop. And if you like a different widget style for the applet, just launch a different one, it will integrate into the systray in KDE just like it does in any other X11 desktop (Until plasma-nm became fully functional around 4.5, which is many years ago btw, I personally used the GTK nm-applet instead).

Comment

Working...
                    X