Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNF 0.5.1 Improves Its CLI Output

Phoronix: DNF 0.5.1 Improves Its CLI Output

As the first point release to the recent DNF 0.5 debut, which introduced support for groups, there is DNF 0.5.1 that is less verbose with its text output...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does DNF also update from the internet each time you open the terminal and issue a "search" or other commands? I hate yum for that, and the "-C" option is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Does DNF also update from the internet each time you open the terminal and issue a "search" or other commands? I hate yum for that, and the "-C" option is broken.
      Oh shit, just like yum it also updates each time (just tried on Fedora 20). I'm not holding my breath any longer for DNF.

Comment

Oh shit, just like yum it also updates each time (just tried on Fedora 20). I'm not holding my breath any longer for DNF.
        Use zypper

Comment

You are wrong. Yum has a metadata expiry period of 6 hours while dnf has a default of 2 days. Neither updates the metadata everytime and in both programs, it is entirely configurable.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
            You are wrong. Yum has a metadata expiry period of 6 hours while dnf has a default of 2 days. Neither updates the metadata everytime and in both programs, it is entirely configurable.

http://dnf.baseurl.org/2014/01/02/dn...ferent-output/
            It's not about "yum update", it's about yum + search/info/whatever which triggers the sync with the internet db mirror, and since it takes like 30 seconds it's highly pissing me off, because it acts like a demented Marry Poppins thinking that it knows better what I need and making me wait while on Ubuntu apt-cache by default never syncs which is what I want and which is what makes sense on the desktop.

Typical situation: I read something on the internet about Linux/OS/apps, then fire the konsole, then check what app/version I have on my OS with the "yum + smth" command and FUCK! I have to wait for at least 30 seconds because this idiot yum decided it first needs to sync! WTF I updated the OS today or yesterday.
            Last edited by mark45; 02 May 2014, 08:45 PM.

Comment

It's not about "yum update", it's about yum + search/info/whatever which triggers the sync with the internet db mirror
              You are still wrong. dnf just doesn't update metadata everytime like you claim it does. It does once every 48 hours and then relies on the cache. In yum, it is every six hours and if you want a different behavior in yum, you can configure it. note: metadata_expire = <whatever_policy> in /etc/yum.conf and use yum makecache to update it manually. man yum.conf for more details.
              Last edited by RahulSundaram; 02 May 2014, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Now I can't replicate this, probably something was fixed with the updates I got like 20 hours ago, maybe even earlier cause Fedora ships updates like every 15 hours (I even got Linux 3.14 shipped as an update!). Even after a reboot yum doesn't try to download crap from the internet any longer, which is good. I remember clearly that I complained about this on some site like 1 or 2 months ago and did manage to replicate the issue.

I still wanted to update yum.conf as you suggested but after reading the warning from the conf file - unlike Ubuntu Fedora will have issues - I decided not to make any changes for the next few days and see if yum doesn't start behaving again (after some update) like a demented waitress.

Comment

Working...
                X