Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accretion: A QML, Qt 5.2, KDE Frameworks 5 File Browser

Phoronix: Accretion: A QML, Qt 5.2, KDE Frameworks 5 File Browser

Accretion is a file browser written in QML for the modern Linux desktop that's written against Qt 5.2 and KDE Frameworks 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I also created my own file browser, in Gtk3, and also had my own model/view widget, cause what Gtk3 provides is too nimble.
    Anyway, the biggest issue is making it usable, since when you think you've got like 80% of the work done turns out you gotta do lots of other things before you're really done - displaying the files in list/grid view and doing file I/O is just the beginning.

Comment

What's the purpose of spending 1 or 2 years trying to write what Dolphin already does, and does well ?

Writing software is expensive, we can't rewrite everything every time a new technology comes along.

Would make sense if it had mobile/tables in mind but the developer said that wasn't on his plans.

Comment

Re

In 2 years he won't achieve what Dolphin achieved.
        The guy that wrote is uninformed. The port to the new engine in Dolphin 2.0 had also the purpose to be easier to port to QML.
        It is way easier(and a better idea) to port Dolphin 2 to QML than write a new one with all the features Dolphin has.

Comment

How about that just fix that pig of a file browser called Dolphin first?

It's a real chore going from OS X/NeXTSTEP to these dog ass slow file browsers and yes old Konqueror as a file browser was more enjoyable that the ``oh look Dolphin crashed would you like to send the report and launch a new instance'' panels that invariably arises at least twice a week even with KDE 4.11.2.

Then again the big fat +/- red states that hang around throughout KDE apps is another eye sore. It makes the basic concept of drag n' drop that was effortless on NeXTSTEP and later OS X look like cutting teeth in KDE, never mind cut/copy/paste.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            How about that just fix that pig of a file browser called Dolphin first?

It's a real chore going from OS X/NeXTSTEP to these dog ass slow file browsers and yes old Konqueror as a file browser was more enjoyable that the ``oh look Dolphin crashed would you like to send the report and launch a new instance'' panels that invariably arises at least twice a week even with KDE 4.11.2.

Then again the big fat +/- red states that hang around throughout KDE apps is another eye sore. It makes the basic concept of drag n' drop that was effortless on NeXTSTEP and later OS X look like cutting teeth in KDE, never mind cut/copy/paste.
            Maybe you should check your RAM or clean up your repositorys or dolphin-config or change the Distro or something...
            Dolphin here on openSuse Tumbleweed does crash maybe twice a year when I try out latest betas and RCs of suse... and I use it every day extensively with nfs and samba shares etc. It also feels fast enough for me.... and the integrated Konsole (F4 Button) is the best thing ever!

Comment

It would be nice to have a Qt-only file browser, not related to KDE, for use with LXDE-qt (I know there's Andromeda and now also PCManFM, but I find Andromeda annoying, and it's always nice to have more choice).

Comment

And I have never had Dolphin crash, even on betas of openSUSE. Plasma has crashed before, but never Dolphin.

Also, hooray for 1 minute time limit.

Comment

Originally posted by lethal View Post
                  What's the purpose of spending 1 or 2 years trying to write what Dolphin already does, and does well ?

Writing software is expensive, we can't rewrite everything every time a new technology comes along.

Would make sense if it had mobile/tables in mind but the developer said that wasn't on his plans.
                  You are totally misinformed and probably haven't even read the blog post.
                  I - as the developer - likely know better.

I haven't worked on _this_ gui for 1 - 2 years. I've worked on the data backend - which is USED in this gui, but not FOR this gui - for about a year. I've worked on the GUI for about 3 days.

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
                  In 2 years he won't achieve what Dolphin achieved.
                  The guy that wrote is uninformed. The port to the new engine in Dolphin 2.0 had also the purpose to be easier to port to QML.
                  It is way easier(and a better idea) to port Dolphin 2 to QML than write a new one with all the features Dolphin has.
                  You don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                    You are totally misinformed and probably haven't even read the blog post.
                    I - as the developer - likely know better.

I haven't worked on _this_ gui for 1 - 2 years. I've worked on the data backend - which is USED in this gui, but not FOR this gui - for about a year. I've worked on the GUI for about 3 days.
                    Sorry, I didn't mean that you spent 1-2 years, I mean that you're going to spend that much in the future, or even more, to reach where dolphin has reached.

Comment

Working...
                    X