Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 209 Is A Massive Release, Readies Kdbus

Phoronix: Systemd 209 Is A Massive Release, Readies Kdbus

Lennart Poettering has announced the release of systemd 209 and once again it's another massive release with stuffing more features into the init system, including preparing the user-space side for the kernel D-Bus implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And people wonder why systemd has a reputation for feature creep.

Comment

Cool, no more having to use NetworkManager for bringing up a static interface, yeay!

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
        And people wonder why systemd has a reputation for feature creep.
        Linux was born as an alternative to Windows. Now we need an alternative to both because systemd is slowly turning Linux into yet another Windows. The more traction this crap gets, the less usable Linux becomes.

Comment

Well go shove yourself with a BSD that can't handle a damn USB mouse...

Comment

Some user replies are just hilarious!

What's so difficult to understand about "SYSTEM daemon"? What did you expect it to do? Initialize a console and that's it!?

I don't usually reply to this kind of flamewars, but this is just too stupid to let go without a word.

It seems like many of you have already chosen a side, and no matter what you won't be admiting that systemd is good no matter how well it works! Did you ever stop for a minute to think that MAYBE there's a reason so many distros are switching to systemd? MAYBE these engineers know better than your preconceived idea? Or do you think it's just a big conspiracy?

If you feel like systemd is so bad, it must be somewhat easy to make a better alternative, so I suggest you stop wasting everybody's time listening to your ridiculous bashing and instead show us how to do it right WITH WORKING CODE!

No wonder linux is having a bad time gaining traction on desktops...

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
              Well go shove yourself with a BSD that can't handle a damn USB mouse...
              Don't crap on FreeBSD if you don't mind. They're better off with RISC OS if they want minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                Cool, no more having to use NetworkManager for bringing up a static interface, yeay!
                Yeah. Was quite surprised when I figured out that gentoo didn't support its excellent network configuration on systemd. Instead, you need to install a package that contains arch's config scripts, which are less flexible.

Haven't looked at the feature set of systemd's solution, but a configuration that's identical across distributions could be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
                  Some user replies are just hilarious!

What's so difficult to understand about "SYSTEM daemon"? What did you expect it to do? Initialize a console and that's it!?

I don't usually reply to this kind of flamewars, but this is just too stupid to let go without a word.

It seems like many of you have already chosen a side, and no matter what you won't be admiting that systemd is good no matter how well it works! Did you ever stop for a minute to think that MAYBE there's a reason so many distros are switching to systemd? MAYBE these engineers know better than your preconceived idea? Or do you think it's just a big conspiracy?

If you feel like systemd is so bad, it must be somewhat easy to make a better alternative, so I suggest you stop wasting everybody's time listening to your ridiculous bashing and instead show us how to do it right WITH WORKING CODE!

No wonder linux is having a bad time gaining traction on desktops...
                  I'm quite pleased Systemd is first tier in Debian.

Comment

I wonder if a "minimal" version of systemd like systemd-lite will eventually come out?

Comment

Working...
                    X