Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Applications On Wayland Are Working

Phoronix: X.Org Applications On Wayland Are Working

For those curious about the support for running X11/X.Org applications on Wayland, the support has come along quite nicely and is basically ready to begin showing off...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome. With Chrome and Flash working on Wayland, it could be time to jump ship if you're using an open source graphics driver and are looking forward to being an early adopter of Wayland.

Does Ivy Bridge work with Wayland, hardware accel and all?

Also, how hard would it be to get all of this working on top of Ubuntu 12.04? Compiling a lot of stuff from git, I guess...?

Comment

when is ubuntu gonna ship with wayland? I want a timeline. the nights are so unkind, dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        when is ubuntu gonna ship with wayland? I want a timeline. the nights are so unkind, dammit.
        6 months after Fedora.

Comment

translation: this is another cluless FOSS project like gimp or samba that we have no way of ballparking in the accuracy of a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
            translation: this is another cluless FOSS project like gimp or samba that we have no way of ballparking in the accuracy of a decade.
            Translation: It is a complex project and it is more important to get it right than work on a arbitrary time based deadline. It is also something that incrementally improves rather than go from "not ready" to "ready" in a particular day.

Having said that, I expect Fedora to look into it for default around Fedora 20. It might take 2 or 3 years to get everyone on board and running smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
              Awesome. With Chrome and Flash working on Wayland, it could be time to jump ship if you're using an open source graphics driver and are looking forward to being an early adopter of Wayland.

Does Ivy Bridge work with Wayland, hardware accel and all?

Also, how hard would it be to get all of this working on top of Ubuntu 12.04? Compiling a lot of stuff from git, I guess...?
              Don't rush

No DE works afaik

Comment

Is it still buggy?

I suppose Xwayland is also needed in order to run Wine and Mono applications?

With Xwayland can I run it without superuser/root privileges?
                Also, will it work with AppArmor? Will it work with SELinux?
                Last edited by uid313; 14 June 2012, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Is it still buggy?
                  Well, with wayland as X client I haven't seen a mouse pointer for a while, in the wayland-terminal the letters e,z,s,j,y, etc. cannot be typed. At this point I couldn't test further keys because something got changed so everything got remapped, for example a mapped to enter or something. Last time I tried weston-launch from X it opened wayland in a tty, and when it crashed I couldn't type those letters in X anymore either. Also, doing "pkill weston" in a tty-weston locks up everything on radeon.

Is that buggy enaugh?

Comment

Of course this does nothing to to fix the problem of people writing wayland native apps that you can't run remotely.

Comment

Working...
                    X