Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting Features For Fedora 20 "Heisenbug"

Phoronix: Exciting Features For Fedora 20 "Heisenbug"

Assuming there's no major last minute snafus, Fedora 20 will be released in two week's time. Due to the multiple delays that hit Fedora 20 and not all features being completed in time, here's a look at some of the most exciting features that were finished and will be found in this next major release of the Red Hat sponsored Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just upgraded through fedup. And I can report: the system feels a bit faster than Fedora 19, and fedup worked flawlessly.

Comment

Will probably wait a week or 2 after the release before fedup-ing. If not the actual OS then the upgrading process is bound to be somewhat problematic.

Comment

I fedupped a week ago and most everything (audacious. KVM, transmission-daemon, transgui, gnote, mcomix, gnome mplayer, libreoffice...) works just fine.

Gnome wise, it all seems to be running fine with noticeably smoother visual effects. Only exceptions are some shell extensions that had yet to update:

Personally, I use Enlightenment so it doesn't bother me much.

Comment

Will the Xorg1.15+Mesa10+DRI3 happen at the release?
          Only this gives a chance for, finally, no-tearing on Gnome Shell with Intel graphics apparently

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
            Will the Xorg1.15+Mesa10+DRI3 happen at the release?
            Mesa 10.0 might land as an update at some point, but the rest is a safe bet for Fedora 21.

Comment

Originally posted by PiotrDrag View Post
              Mesa 10.0 might land as an update at some point, but the rest is a safe bet for Fedora 21.
              Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by PiotrDrag View Post
                I am nearly shocked that its not in fedora at release but ok, if it would come as update no big problem, but I dont like that its not 99.9% shure a "might" is not really good for me.

For a gnome-only desktop user it maybe doesnt matter much. But if u seperate that away this release is just useless. only 3.11 instead of 3.10 not a release with many very interesting changes from a destop point of view.

Wayland is nothing u can have any benefits yet u can see that it kind of works but its basicly xwayland as I understand so useless.

what is left? Nothing exciting.

No new mesa, no new version of xbmc u get the pre-versions of xbmc for a 1 year old ubuntu if neccessary, yes not really redhats fault but still a fact, no big kernel update, no usefull wayland experience.

I cant think of any distribution update that gave me less.

If u dont use gnome this release is just completly useless. (I take that back if mesa will come).

Maybe I bitch to much and there a big driver-updates for mesa in the kernel and I miss something (hopefully) and maybe I am to much in the rolling release mindset so I dont think on the small things like new firefox verisons, what I take for granted using archlinux ^^.

But the one or one of the biggest advantages from fedora over arch was for me that it updated sooner to mesa 9.2 nearly 5-6 months earlier.

So a clear statement that they will (if not some big problems come in the way) they bring this mesa 10 update.

I like fedora and arch, I dont want to use other linuxes if possible both are great, I am not shure which is better for what purpose.

I kind of feel like arch is better for server stuff and fedora more for desktop. think of installing fedora on my main linxu machine and install my apps as archlinux docker apps. Why I want to be able update my desktop with bleeding edge mesa updates but not breaking my server/backup stuff I do on the same machine.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

what is left? Nothing exciting. I cant think of any distribution update that gave me less.
                  That is very hyperbolic but I would note that Fedora releases are NOT feature based. What did say the last Ubuntu release provide that was so very exciting?

Having said that, Other than usual desktop environment updates, Fedora 20 is the first release with ARM as primary architecture and cloud images at the same level as the desktop live images. It has Wildfly 8, SSD caching, SSID CIFS plugin and several other major server oriented changes. Which changes matter to you depends on what kind of user you are but hey, if none of the changes matter, stick to Fedora 19 and move over directly to Fedora 21.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    That is very hyperbolic but I would note that Fedora releases are NOT feature based. What did say the last Ubuntu release provide that was so very exciting?

Having said that, Other than usual desktop environment updates, Fedora 20 is the first release with ARM as primary architecture and cloud images at the same level as the desktop live images. It has Wildfly 8, SSD caching, SSID CIFS plugin and several other major server oriented changes. Which changes matter to you depends on what kind of user you are but hey, if none of the changes matter, stick to Fedora 19 and move over directly to Fedora 21.
                    I do have to say, Fedora 21 is looking considerably more exciting... more DNF work, the Wayland page still says F21 is the target for Gnome, SDDM by default for KDE, maybe even a KF5 preview since thats supposed to come out this month. Heaven only knows what new fancy kernel and mesa features will make it in by then.

Rahul, a query for you though-- sorry if you're the wrong person to be asking. Under Apper in the KDE spin there's a set of config options to enable checking for distribution upgrades, not just package upgrades. Any possibility of one day actually -using- that feature, using fedup as the backend? Like just have packagekit tell the user a week or so after release "Hey! Good news! The next fedora version is out! Click me if you want to upgrade!" and its basically just a graphical frontend to "fedup -n (`$RELEASE`+1)" Sorry if the bash syntax is wrong but hopefully you get my point :P I don't know if the Gnome Software app has a similar config option, but it seems like a good use of it if it does.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X